Thread: Adding AccuClean to American Std Freedom 90?

Post Likes

Question Adding AccuClean to American Std Freedom 90?

My Freedom 90 2 stage variable speed furnace is almost 2 years old. I noticed that they no longer make this furnace, in favor of a high efficiency model, or the Freedom 90 that now includes a built-in "AccuClean" air cleaner. (This is the same as the Trane XV90 which is no longer offered; just the XV90i (with built in "Clean Effects") or the new higher efficiency XV95.

Unfortunately neither the higher 95+ AFUE efficiency model nor the built in AccuClean were available when my furnace was installed.

Does Trane offer a kit to add the built in Clean Effects/AccuClean to an existing 90 furnace? I noticed that the mainboard does include power for an air cleaner. My contractor didn't mention anything about this, but am curious if I should ask around, as I would be interested in having a contractor install this if it is reasonable.

Thanks!

Post Likes
    SKELETOR

First of all, don't have any buyer's regret over the Freedom 90 var spd model. It is a great furnace. The major difference between the Freedom 90 and the recently introduced Freedom 95 is the secondary heat exchanger which raises the eff rating 2-3% and qualifies for the gov't tax credit. Yes, the AccuClean/CleanEffects can be added assuming you have the space where your furnace is located. What kind of filtration do you have now? Of course this retrofit will be more expensive than if the CleanEffects had been installed at same time as furnace.

Good Luck!

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Before allowing anyone to install a "better" and more restrictive to air flow filter,have them explain How the plan to address the increased restriction and maintain the minimum required air flow,to prevent damage to the equipment!

I'm all for better filters,but air flow must not be compromised,which means the return duct(s) will usually be some modifications.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in