Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dye Leak Test

Back before I moved into a single family home I lived in a townhouse and used Cropp-Metcalfe. I was pleased with them. I stopped using them when my friend's plumbing company started doing HVAC (big nightmare for you HVAC techs - I know). I recall you saying they were good I believe, Second Opinion. I can think of other companies like B&B (I'm sure you know them) but I'm not sure how good they are.

AKA "Beltway Bandits"!!!

I'm aware of that nickname they have. Is there a company you recommend (I don't care if you work for it)? I called Hoffacker's first but they didn't want to come out if my system was still under warranty by someone else (I think they misconstrued my situation as I wasn't aware I had any warranty).

i am not a big fan of the dye, my thinking is the only two items that belong in the system is refrigerant and oil. if someone did put dye in a system, they would have to let it circulate in the system before the dye could be detected. would seem easier to use electronic detector,i have had to cut line set and solder lines on one end- pressurize lines and see which one leaked down.

I plan to give them a call tomorrow. I will share the thoughts about dye, find out what's going on, and let you guys know. I'd just like to thank everybody for their input; it really helps!

Don is a good choice for your area call him back.

Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, and Califormia
    If the leak has been persistent and has grown in size, as the others have said it should be easier to find. I too believe the only thing that should be in the system is refrigerant and oil.
    You mentioned the unit was LOUD. The size and duration of your leak has quite probably caused the compressor to be running low on oil. How much oil has been lost? That's why we should never just "top off" a unit that has a history of leaks. Good luck.
    "Surprised ?! If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised."
    Clark Griswold

Lra that is some good advice, thank you. I had the same tech come out today. The service sheet says that he injected the system with die and the found the shraeder pins to be leaking again (2nd. or 3rd. time?). It says the pressure were 180psi/40psi (I think this is low. Shouldn't the low side pressure be around 55 on a 37 degree day?). It said he would be back tonight to check for leaks. Of course, that didn't happen. I guess he got busy or forgot. The offices are closed now according to their phone line. I'd like to know if anyone has any thoughts on the pins that seem to leak every time the tech comes, the dye staying in the system, the pressures, etc. Thanks in advance.

Dye does not mix with the refrigerant, it resides in the compressor oil.
    If you can see the dye you should be able to see the oil.
    Just my 2 cents.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

I didn't really look at it too much. I thought he was going to come back and use a UV device to find the leak(s), but I'm not sure.

You got a black light? It is the same thing as a UV light. You can check it your self.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

That would be quite embarassing to inject dye and then find out that it is something as simple a the schraeder ports. Why would the tech not check that first? Also, when disconnecting the injecting system, how did he keep from getting them on the schraeder valves? It may be residual from the injection process. Insist on a complete uv inspection of the system. I'm with most of the guys here, only refrigerant and oil in a system. With that being said, I do own dye and uv light. But it is a last resort. I use the electronic and bubbles 1st. Only on persistent leaks that I have spent considerable time on gets the dye on. That has been 1 system in the 4 years I had the dye. Actually it's the reason I bought the dye system. But other than that, the electronic finds the leak.
    Hvac Maniac

"A negative attitude cancels out positive skills."

Hard to find?

Flare Nut had your best suggestion. Dry Nitro with R-22 Mixed. Isolate the outdoor unit and come back in a couple hours. Definitely shows the direction to head and if its really low and you can't find (or hear it) at the evap then the line set is the way to go looking. I use Dye tests but normally only for refrigeration equipment and it stays in the system always, when I do maintenance I run the light with me to get a heads up. Electronic is the preferred residential method.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast