Best Palm For our apps?

I am thinking about getting a Palm or similar devise. I looked up threads related to this and found lots of good links to us full software. Here is my question, what palm unit should I get? I want something tried and proven to hold up to the type of stress we put on our tools. Not just the latest and greatest.
    Last edited by Wheelbaron; 12-05-2007 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Spelling
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

I currently use a Palm IIIc. It has 8MB ram and full color screen. The bottom connector is a simple serial interface, so it can be used with numerous equipment. A short Palm to DB9 Serial cable and you are ready to go! Everything can be found on e-Bay and other sites at some really great prices since this is not a current model. I use Refrig PT charts, A/C unit analysis, Carrier, Johnson, and Honeywell apps. Much easier than lugging a laptop everwhere(though it is always in my van). Good Luck and have fun!

Thanks, have you had any problems with compatibility with the OS?
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

I use a Palm Tungsten E2.
    32 meg of ram, full color display, can connect via Bluetooth to your phone for internet access. Very slow internet access though.
    I have a number of applications for it, but I haven't used it for the internet since I got my iPhone.

I have a metal clamshell case for it, so it holds up really well in my tool bag.

The Tungsten E2 is about $200 new.
    The next step up from Palm is the TX, which costs about $300, has built in Wi-Fi, 128 megs or ram, larger display, and can be rotated for viewing stuff in landscape mode.
    Either one can use SD cards.

You can load up an SD card or 2 with PDF files for all sorts of equipment, but the Palm handhelds can't handle PDF files in their native format, so you have to convert them on your PC first. The software for doing so comes as part of the package, but it sometimes does "interesting" things to the format of the pages in the conversion process.

I can download and view PDF files in their native format on my iPhone.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I have a zire 72 . Takes pics, and video , voice recorder, mp3 plus all the other benefits most palms have. Couldn't live without it
    refrigeration workers of Ontario

Palm & OS

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelbaron View Post
    Thanks, have you had any problems with compatibility with the OS?
    The Palm I have upgraded to 3.5.3 and I run the 4.1.4 desktop on Win XP Pro with no issues. But then I usually don't have several apps open at the same time which uses a LOT of memory and makes anything flaky. I like the newer Palms, but most software I have was written for the III series and may or may not port up to the latest Palm OS. Unfortunately each newer unit has its own special set of interface cables and accessories that are not backward compatible.

Cheers,
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by guy787north View Post
    I have a zire 72 . Takes pics, and video , voice recorder, mp3 plus all the other benefits most palms have. Couldn't live without it
    I too have the Zire 72 and it's realy held up much better than I've ever expected it to. On Dec. 10 I will have been using it for 3 years. Very few scratches on the outside and I carry it with me every work day in a regular old cloth style cell phone pouches that I pick up from Grainger. I keep my contacts, equipment information, pt charts, etc. on it. I still use a paper notepad but not as often as I used to. IMO, the cost has been worth every cent.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Thumbs up What is a Camaro?

Hey RS! Get this!

Biggs, Henry (2006-02-03). Top 10: Muscle cars (html) (English). MSN Cars UK. Retrieved on 2006-12-27. “When asked, Chevrolet sales executives claimed a Camaro was a: "a small, vicious animal that eats Mustangs".”

Quote Originally Posted by chillersandcontrols View Post
    Hey RS! Get this!

“When asked, Chevrolet sales executives claimed a Camaro was a: "a small, vicious animal that eats Mustangs".”

Excellent quote. thanks. I love V-8 rear wheel drive cars, pony cars the best though I have owned a number of midsized muscle cars in the past.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Being a developer of HVAC/R software I would suggest a Palm Tungsten E2 or Palm TX PDA. The Palm Garnet 5.4 operating system is very stable and there are many software programs for the HVAC/R industry that will operate on these devices. If you want the device to also be your phone I would recommend the Palm Treo 700P. This SmartPhone also has Palm Garnet 5.4
    OS. You could also go with a Windows Mobile 5.0 OS device like the Palm Treo 700W but there are not as many software programs available in this operating system. Which one you decide on is really a personnal choice depending on what you want to use the device for. Whichever one it is you choose you will find that it will be a great asset for managing the daily tasks you encounter in the field.

Joe
    ExactCharge Industries