ALC third party integration

I want to network two cerus vfd's with bacnet comm (mstp) to an existing me-lgr. The me-lgr is currently connected to the ip backbone and an arc 156 network. All of the bacnet objects and properties for the drives are provided
    in the drive tech manual. Even thought the drives are bacnet mstp, I get the impression that the S1 port (when configured for bacnet mstp) is only for alc control modules. What is the proper configuration for networking these drives? Do I need to obtain a third party driver from the dealer even though they are bacnet mstp? Any guidance would be appreciated.

port s1 can indeed be used for bacnet ms/tp integration. any vanilla lgr driver will support ms/tp on the s1 port. you will obviously need Eikon (or better yet, Logicbuilder) to create a program for the lgr that polls the data points on the ms/tp bus, Sitebuilder to associate the program to the controller, and proper permissions in WebCTRL to download the program to the lgr...

So to integrate the two drives:
    Create the program with the ani, bni, etc. in logicbuilder.
    Create the mstp network under the me-lgr in sitebuilder.
    Add the two third party devices under the mstp network using third party driver using sitebuilder.
    Create equipment for the vfds under the geo tree in sitebuilder and associate the program created to the equipment using sitebuilder.
    Then assign the equipment the the me-lgr using sitebuilder.
    Port S1 configured for bacnet mstp 285 half duplex.

Correct?

Any confirmation would be greatly appreciated.

ALC VFD Integration tips

see below
    Last edited by dracula; 12-06-2007 at 01:41 AM. Reason: opps, accidental double post
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

Remember to "Pay it Forward"; help out the newer generation of techs, remember someone during our career helped us! ("Pay it Forward" was by someone smarter than me!!)

ALC to VFD Integration tips

Just a couple of heads up:

1. Find out on the VFD's how to change the BACnet MSTP network number
    that will need to be the same on the two VFD's and the ME-LGR. Just because you can create a BACnet MSTP network number in Sitebuilder, unless you use the default network number from the VFD's (in Sitebuilder), they all three will need to match, which ever way you want to do it. Just a tip.
    2. Start out with the slowest BACnet MSTP comm buss speed your VFD's can handle until you get good BACnet point mapping happening, BACnet MSTP can be touchy when you use the higher speeds. Some BACnet MSTP controllers will require the use of end of line resistors, investigate your VFD comm boards to see it that will be a issue.
    3. The WebCTRL server license (for the job) will need to be checked to see how many third party BACnet points can be added to the system. Some ALC dealers install these systems without any third party points in the license.
    You will get a very anoying license NAG if the system license is not set up to support third party BACnet points. I understand this is a Bit_h, but it wasn't my idea.
    4. See if you can configure the VFD's default operation to a safe operating mode in the event of BAnet MSTP Comm failure, or otherwise you could end up with some physical damage to the system. I know this sounds like a no brainer, but I have seen many systems damaged when the VFD's don't have a default protective sequence set up in them for when the comm buss fails.

Anyway, have fun and make those little red lights blink!
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

Remember to "Pay it Forward"; help out the newer generation of techs, remember someone during our career helped us! ("Pay it Forward" was by someone smarter than me!!)

Thanks for the response but the mstp network configuration is setup in sitebuilder and when the vfd devices are placed under the mstp network they are assigned to that network. The drives don't have network number settings.