Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coleman DGAT program

So most of us here know about this program, heat exchangers going bad. I worked for a local company for a few years, one winter I did only Coleman DGAT calls, it actually kept me busy ALL winter in 2004.

I replaced 22 Furnaces that had burned through the furnace exchanger, housing, and wall. Who knows how many "upgrade " kits.

Now that Im on my own, I still run into these things. Ironically, I found one the other day on a house that had been worked on by another company that is a DGAT authorized company. They didnt do anything to it, other than clean the flame sensor. Yesterday I go there and find a hole in the exchanger.

So I call Coleman, now I admit I get pissy on the phone after getting the runaround for 15 minutes. Long story short, they wont allow ME to do their work, even though Ive been the guy doing this around here. There is already companies that are authorized to do the work. Well do you think the customer wants this place to do the work now? No.

So basically Im out the work, and trust me if I was an established company with hundreds of customers I certainly wouldnt be going out on a limb for COLEMAN, but Im starting out and was willing to do their work.

The guy in charge of this program, Mark Fraund (sp) is on vacation for a week, but is suppose to call me when he gets back. Im sure it will be a get nowhere conversation.

Then they tell me the DGAT program is "ending" so I ask when. She replies, "Well I cannot give a date". Then she says but if a DGAT furnace is found out there that has not been inspected they will still do it. So its NOT ending?
    Whatever. They care nothing about these homes that are on the edge of burning down, I will NEVER carry the Coleman line until they improve the way they treat everyone.

Im looking for feedback from you guys that did their work, how many did you find that had bad exchangers? Did you have problems getting paid? How about if you replaced the entire furnace?

I am referring this last customer to Coleman so hopefully she chews them out.

These piles of junk should not be in cold climates anyway. keep your junk in the South...
    You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel...

http://rapalaguy.spaces.live.com/

we got involved in the dgat program,did the upgrade on a handfull.never got paid.i dont know if its them or there dist.,but they allways jam you up on your pay,only a couple guys around here mess with them anymore.funny thing,you go out to a brandnew mh. and the sucker will have a 2 year old coleman furnace.then the paper chase&phone calls begin so you get paid for a stinken fan relay,cause they only have a years warrenty.Nordyne on the other hand pays promptly with no headaches.

I would say, 8-9 furnaces, over 25 heat exchangers, and 50 or more kits, we got 1 full pallet of kits, then had to order more, 2 pallets of heat exchangers. We got all this before the notice that there was a recall!! We were looking at these things going WTF Why did we get all this crap!!

Bad part is we had replaced 3 or 4 of these furnaces before the program started for full price although they weren't burnt through the HO could have at least gotten a new one with a $300 credit.
    You can't fix stupid

the few we did were treated fairly by coleman.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad711 View Post
    The guy in charge of this program, Mark Fraund (sp) is on vacation for a week, but is suppose to call me when he gets back. Im sure it will be a get nowhere conversation.
    I spoke with him tonight, and I told him about his internet fame. They already have nine dealers in your area registered for the DGAT program. He's aware of the situation as the person that you contacted sent him an email.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

coleman dgat program

They should just repalce the furnace than go and replace the heatcxchanger. It takes more time replacing htexc than to repalce whole furnace
    We are a coleman dealer but did'nt buy in to thier program and wait for their payout and bs paperwork !!!!

They have 9 dealers in the area (per their website) however I am willing to bet 6 of them will NOT travel to Bagley, Mn to do this work. Im busting my but trying to make people happy. I cant wait to talk to him on the phone. Yes I'm bitter about the situation. We have companies that dont want to do the work, OBVIOUSLY because they have been to these homes and there are NO upgrade kits . Here I am trying to help these people out, and I'm told no , you cant.

Every time I hear that a modular/mobile home burned down, guess what comes to mind first. I remember one gut that said he was wondering why he smelled wood burning every time his gas furnace started. Somewhere I have pictures of that one, it had just got through the drywall and had charred a 2x4. This was a job that was a result from ME walking through a mobile park for retired folk. Out of 100 homes 20 of them had the DGATs and had no idea of the recall. Coleman says they have done everything they can to contact people.

So, every service call I go on and find a DGAT, I have to take money out of my pocket and let some other company do the work. Go figure...

Quote Originally Posted by sroberts View Post
    They should just repalce the furnace than go and replace the heatcxchanger. It takes more time replacing htexc than to repalce whole furnace
    We are a coleman dealer but did'nt buy in to thier program and wait for their payout and bs paperwork !!!!
    It wasn't too bad, if you called for the SI # in advance everything rolled smoothly. Hope I'm done finding them!! Had to put a kit in one this summer, but nothing else since. Only got 1 kit left.

if it hasA/C the HX is much quicker. (As long as you could get the damn roofjack off!!) Could change em out in 45 minutes if the venting came off easy. Furnace took the same if the venting came off, and no A/C but with A/c it took 3-4 hrs.
    You can't fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by sroberts View Post
    I completely agree. Also, when you have to change that heat exchanger, the exhaust RARELY decides to depart from the old heat exchanger, even if you use the hot wrench. So, then the homeowner needs a new $500 chimney. Great, guess who gets to pay for that.

Also, I opened one up a few weeks back that had a kit for 3 years. The Baffle was destroyed. Warped like the bad heat exchangers...

cmajerus what part of MN are you in?

Lake City, its right on Lake Pepin/ Miss. River. About 45 minutes from Rochester
    You can't fix stupid

JR Benny, Mark still hasnt contacted me, do you have his email address? Now I have a Manufactured home dealer that wont work with the local Coleman co, and would give me a shot IF I could get Coleman to work with me.

Twilli doesn't participate in that program, Twilli tells em replace the furnace or call someone else.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast