Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Dual Fuel system - Electric strips for defrost?

I have a new Lennox dual fuel system run by an IAQ that works very well, but when in HP mode, the family can't stand the freezing cold air during defrost mode that sometimes lasts 3-5 minutes. It is especially bad when you are in the shower or getting out. Since I have such low KW rates (3.9 cents per KWH), I am interested in adding a 5KW strip to the system for defrost. Is it an option to add to a dual fuel system to kick in duing defrost only?

Quote Originally Posted by ccryan2000 View Post
    I have a new Lennox dual fuel system run by an IAQ that works very well, but when in HP mode, the family can't stand the freezing cold air during defrost mode that sometimes lasts 3-5 minutes. It is especially bad when you are in the shower or getting out. Since I have such low KW rates (3.9 cents per KWH), I am interested in adding a 5KW strip to the system for defrost. Is it an option to add to a dual fuel system to kick in duing defrost only?
    no need for a heat strip

your furnace (should) kick on during defrost if your system is wired properly!

and that (should) leave you with warm supply temps during defrost!

have a pro check out your system, and make sure they are experienced with dual fuel systems!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123