+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Mystery Manitowoc -

Post Likes
    let me throw a few facts out at you about this machine

for it to go off on "harvest to long" fault it has to be in harvest 3 times in a row taking more then 3 and a hafe mins each time.
    the water prob will put the machine into harvest after it is grounded out via water for 7 seconds.
    now step back and think for a second
    supply water problem no " set your head pressure back where is was"
    thats for sure not your problem.
    have a look for this..

first one is bad ice thickness prob, if you do replace it replace it with the "T" one.. there is a kit

second one i have seen in these machines is the horizontal's on the
    evapartor come lose and the ice doesnt drop properly

also on these machines the lines on the back of the evaprator will let go from the evaprator.

the dump valve might be stuck open a little bit causeing the ice to just fourm on the top of the evaprator and not drop because there is no weight and go back into harvest after the 3 and hafe mins..

to make sure it isnt the charge or the lines letting go off the back of the evaprator unplug the water pump and turn it on if your evaprator inlet and out let don't freeze you may be low on gas.... a good rule of thumb is if your evaprator doesnt completly freeze over with no water running your low on gas, if it does dont touch your charge. when i do this i like to pull the evaprator splash gaurd off and put a magnet on the sencer so i can watch it frezze and see if there is any irregularities in teh freezing pattern. if there is you may wanna.............

i could go on all night just have a look at that stuff for now.
    Last edited by desroches; 12-05-2007 at 10:00 PM.

Post Likes

Talking

could be bad regulator or wasent set right 300 should get it done i have had lots of manis remote that i have put fan controls and run 315/260

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by desroches View Post
    let me throw a few facts out at you about this machine

when i do this i like to pull the evaprator splash gaurd off and put a magnet on the sencer so i can watch it frezze and see if there is any irregularities in teh freezing pattern. if there is you may wanna.............

i could go on all night just have a look at that stuff for now.
    If your arm gets tired holding a magnet on the switch just remove the water curtian and it will stay in freeze - no extra magnet needed-

PHM Unit is 220 V. Is there a ground wire pulled from the panel or is it just case grounded? Are the water pipes copper or plastic? With the new water filter you may have lost a ground from the water pipe.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    With the new water filter you may have lost a ground from the water pipe.
    never even caught that, i am impressed !

*clapps !*

oh wait but the water itself is grounded.

the ground from the board to the unit should be the only one that matters

bad netural though could mess up the board with the unit still running

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Last Thursday I was there and the unit was off on "excess harvest time". It's is spotlessly clean inside but did take it's time dropping ice - more than two minutes. I sprayed the cube molds with silicone and it then dropped the ice Very soon into defrost.

Is there anything else I can do to speed up the ice dropping?

Any ideas?
    If all you did was slick up the evap plate and the ice dropped fine the plate is dirty or plating is trashed. Remove the water curtain while in freeze just before harvest. Let cycle into harvest with out water curtian on and let the ice drop. Then let the unit run the full 3.5 min with curtain off. The machine will cycle off(full bin).The plate will begin to dry up and you will see the crud. If it is white lime you can clean with I/M cleaner and nylon brush. If the deposits are red iron Good Luck getting it off without destroying the plating.

Post Likes
    also i think that its should produce a sheet of ice every 18 to 20 mins and drop that sheet in at least 3.5 mins

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by desroches View Post
    never even caught that, i am impressed !

*clapps !*

oh wait but the water itself is grounded.

the ground from the board to the unit should be the only one that matters

bad netural though could mess up the board with the unit still running
    If the water line is plastic - no good ground through water.
    If new water filter is all plastic lost the poor ground he had.
    Ground though a water pipe or elec. pipe case is a bad idea.
    Need good ground to panel not just the little wire from the board to the frame.
    Machine needs a consistent ground. If ground is loose or is changing it messes with the board.

Post Likes

Talking

yeh i agree, air bubbles in the water line may cause issues, also the water psi was jacked up he said, so this could kinda backup air bubbles making the ground not so good all the time.

this is fun

Post Likes
    Not sure if you found the problem yet, but my vote is the dump valve.

My guess is that it is not opening, and the water gets so mineral ladent that it will no longer freeze.

Just a guess.

Post Likes

???????

This is why they changed the Q-Model and the S-model's Harvest failare safety to 3 times to 500 times

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes

No news - is that good news ?

Either that or I have been fired I guess. <g>

I think the water sump being empty thing is incidental to the unit locking off on "long harvest time safety". The unit just goes off when the sump is empty. The empty sump is just another bit of meaningless data.

Last time there the discharge line was barely into the 160's. I raised the head pressure to get it over 170. So far as I can remember - that's all I changed. So far - no further word. I gave all the bar girls my cell number and instructions to call me at any time so I'm thinking I would have heard if there was no ice. <g>
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    If the water line is plastic - no good ground through water.
    If new water filter is all plastic lost the poor ground he had.
    Ground though a water pipe or elec. pipe case is a bad idea.
    Need good ground to panel not just the little wire from the board to the frame.
    Machine needs a consistent ground. If ground is loose or is changing it messes with the board.
    i agree.. A bad ground to the unit will play with the board and make it do all kinds of things, just like loose common wires will.. Poodle head mikey, if it was me id tell the bar when it locks out to LEAVE it alone so u can show up and see whats up with this thing.. there nothing worst then trying to find a problem in a unit when it works perfect when you r there.. Tell them to steal ice from another machine and just fill the bin manually .. Most manis recommend 150 degree discharge temp or greater.. manitowoc said they went from 3 cycles to 500 before locking out because of many nusense calls.. I just left one of there seminars today

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=Poodle Head Mikey;1692385]It is a country club. This particular ice machine is in the pro-shop bar.

could you be missing the big pic?maybe in the evening when the sprinklers kick on to water the greens there is a major pressure drop and now the greens don't need so much water then no calls?just a thought

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes

The greens have their own well -

The clubhouse, catering, bars, and pro shop are the only things using this well. My thinking has been that if the pressure was going to drop - it would happen when the buildings were in use during the day and not when they were all closed for business.

I've already raised their pump / tank pressure.

And I do not believe that they are running the machine without water anyway. Why would that stop the machine on long harvest? And even if it did - how could it possibly happen before tripping the high pressure cut-out? And I would know because it is manual reset.

Raising the head pressure / discharge line temperature has either solved the problem - or they have gotten someone else. Because I haven't heard from them. <g>
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in