continueous running circ pump

I bought a home thats a fixer upper and my heating guy installed a heat coil unit in the attic, this is in conjuction with the boiler for the radiant heat on the first floor. My concern is that he is proposing to have a pump run continusly and let the t.stat control just the units fan. Is this right? It seems inefficiant and not good for my boiler.

pump running continuously

One advantage to having the pump run continuously is that it will help to keep the pipes from freezing if they are in a cold attic and not well insulated. You will also get hot air out of the unit the moment the thermostat calls for heat rather than having to wait for it to warm up. milnestuart

Quote Originally Posted by milnestuart View Post
    One advantage to having the pump run continuously is that it will help to keep the pipes from freezing if they are in a cold attic and not well insulated. You will also get hot air out of the unit the moment the thermostat calls for heat rather than having to wait for it to warm up. milnestuart
    Talk to your contractor. I would bet this is the reason. Not as much energy wasted as it might seem. Just a suggestion you could also ask for a stat to monitor attic temp. When attic temp drops below say 40, the pump comes on continuously. Above 40 it cycles with call for heat.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Waste of money to keep the air handler and duct hot.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

A 60 watt light bulb on - all the time- costs less than glycol efficiency drop. Insulation is the answer to heat loss. Not a bad idea in an attic application, that I have used often.

MA