Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!!!!

Help!!!!

Ok i'm afraid of what my electric bill will look like ,so i need help .

I have a programmable thermostat and i set it up to be on 74 throughout the day.

The problem i'm having is that 2-3 times a day the heat goes on and keeps running for over 2 hrs straight!

Sometimes it works fine but when this happens i'm wondering if something is wrong.

The temperature says 74 but it won't cut off. It keeps going from cool to warm air and just stays on.
    I would have to set it to 73 so it would click off ,but what about when i'm not at home to do that,it may just keep running.

Any ideas whats up with this system?

Do you have this set to "Auto" for Heat vs Cool? If so, it might be possible that the thermostat is heating it to 74 degrees, slightly overshoots, causing the a/c to come on to bring it back down, but then it overshoots and turns the heat back on...

If so, change your setting to be just "Heat". You also should have a gap of at least 2 degrees between heat setpoint and cool setpoint.

What brand and model of t-stat? If you got it at Lowes or Home Depot, the t-stat is junk. Call a contractor to install a good t-stat.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

I have a honeywell CT3611

Now i have the flame sign coming on and it suggest a contractor in the HELP pages of the manual.

Smart manual ...... call your contractor

Quote Originally Posted by becbac View Post

Now i have the flame sign coming on and it suggest a contractor in the HELP pages of the manual.
    I side with Honeywell. Call a contractor to find out what's going on.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

is the fan selection switch on, on or auto. If its on auto, call a service guy to check it out.
    You can't fix stupid

Ok...the fan switch was on "on" after i switched it to auto it stopped running.
    The flame sign is still coming up every time the heat comes on.So i guess i'll still contact a contractor to check it out .

Ok...the fan switch was on "on" after i switched it to auto it stopped running.
    The flame sign is still coming up every time the heat comes on.So i guess i'll still contact a contractor to check it out .
    the flame symbol is normal, in the summer mode the snowflake will come on with a call for cooling.
    You can't fix stupid

But the flame has only been coming on today and we've been in this house using the heat for over 3 weeks now.
    Why now and not before??

Thanks for all the responds so far everyone!!

But the flame has only been coming on today and we've been in this house using the heat for over 3 weeks now.
    Why now and not before??

Thanks for all the responds so far everyone!!
    Maybe you only just noticed it today because you perceived a "problem" for the first time.

The flame symbol is normal, it is there to tell you the thermostat is calling for heat.
    In the cooling mode, it will be a snowflake telling you the thermostat is calling for cooling.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

In other words,
    your thermostat is always going to be flaming or flaky
    depending on the season.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

have you only lived there 3 weeks? or just been using the heat for 3 weeks this year?
    either way an annual checkup would be a good idea but the flame picture is normal as stated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast