Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    999

    Information on an ADP coil

    Can anyone give me info on ADP coil TE50660? This was proposed to match up with a Trane 3.5 ton XP14 unit. It is listed on ARI and boosts SEER to 14.5.

    I read somewhere that this is a 5 ton coil, but cannot find info on ADP site. Don't want an ovesized coil--need all of the latent capacity. Is this coil still made?

    Any one? Thanks.

    AM

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    34,189
    With today's high SEER, really don't pay attention to the 60 number in the coil. In the old days it meant something. Today with high SEER you need big coils to get that SEER so you often use an "060" coil on a 3.5 ton outdoor unit. I did see some figures with Trane/ADP coil match ups. Regardless of sizing, humidity control took a beating compared with the results from a Trane coil. But again, sometimes hard to get decent SEER with Trane outdoor units and their coils.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    999
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    With today's high SEER, really don't pay attention to the 60 number in the coil. In the old days it meant something. Today with high SEER you need big coils to get that SEER so you often use an "060" coil on a 3.5 ton outdoor unit. I did see some figures with Trane/ADP coil match ups. Regardless of sizing, humidity control took a beating compared with the results from a Trane coil. But again, sometimes hard to get decent SEER with Trane outdoor units and their coils.
    Thanks, Baldloonie. It seems strange that the above coil is the only one listed on ARI with this particular a/c. Is there any way to find out what the sensible and latent capacities of this coil are? Searching the internet, I couldn't find anything.

    Also, could not get any info on Trane coils, not even on the Trane site. Clicking on 'furnaces and coils' gives you a list of furnaces, nothing more.

    AM

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    Quote Originally Posted by ampulman View Post
    Can anyone give me info on ADP coil TE50660? This was proposed to match up with a Trane 3.5 ton XP14 unit. It is listed on ARI and boosts SEER to 14.5.
    I assume you mean a 3 ton Trane XR14.
    The ARI directory should have tons of listings of Trane coils with that unit. Just for the R-22 straight AC model, there are over 250 combinations listed, not counting air handlers.
    R-22 or R-410A unit?
    Heat pump or straight AC?
    What furnace?

    The thing about matchups with 3rd party coils is that their ARI ratings are based on computer models, not actually testing the equipment together. I have always been very suspicious of them.

    As the bald one mentioned, latent capacity usually suffers with ADP coils.

    Trane equipment matchups tend to be a little light on SEER ratings, but generally have excellent latent capacity, and performance at indoor and outdoor conditions that are harsher than the ARI rating conditions.

    Trane's all aluminum evaporator coils are also immune to the main 2 causes of evaporator coil leaks, and have a 10 year warranty.
    Last edited by mark beiser; 12-03-2007 at 10:49 AM.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    999
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I assume you mean a 3 ton Trane XR14.
    The ARI directory should have tons of listings of Trane coils with that unit. Just for the R-22 straight AC model, there are over 250 combinations listed, not counting air handlers.
    R-22 or R-410A unit?
    Heat pump or straight AC?
    What furnace?

    The thing about matchups with 3rd party coils is that their ARI ratings are based on computer models, not actually testing the equipment together. I have always been very suspicious of them.

    As the bald one mentioned, latent capacity usually suffers with ADP coils.

    Trane equipment matchups tend to be a little light on SEER ratings, but generally have excellent latent capacity, and performance at indoor and outdoor conditions that are harsher than the ARI rating conditions.

    Trane's all aluminum evaporator coils are also immune to the main 2 causes of evaporator coil leaks, and have a 10 year warranty.
    How about these numbers? I think they are Trane. Can anyone point out a link where I can find the sensible and latent capacities? Anything in the code to indicate whether cased and with TXV? Thanks.

    4TXCC044BC3
    4TXFH054AS3
    4TXAC044BC3

    AM

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    Quote Originally Posted by ampulman View Post
    How about these numbers? I think they are Trane. Can anyone point out a link where I can find the sensible and latent capacities? Anything in the code to indicate whether cased and with TXV? Thanks.

    4TXCC044BC3
    4TXFH054AS3
    4TXAC044BC3

    AM
    All Trane coils come with a TXV factory installed.

    Which outdoor unit are you getting? R-22 or R-410A, heat pump or straight AC?
    Also, what furnace?

    Upflow, downflow, or horizontal installation?
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    999
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    All Trane coils come with a TXV factory installed.

    Which outdoor unit are you getting? R-22 or R-410A, heat pump or straight AC?
    Also, what furnace?

    Upflow, downflow, or horizontal installation?
    Mark: That would be (a/c) 4ttr4042C (R410a) w/ XV95 TUH2B080A93VA.


    AM

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    Quote Originally Posted by ampulman View Post
    TUH2B080A93VA.
    I'm guessing that model number is actually TUH2B080A9V3A.

    I don't like the blower in that thing for use in a 3.5 ton system. Under ideal circumstances, with an ideal installation, it is at the outer limit of its blower capacity for a 3.5 ton cooling system.

    The XV95 isn't in my Trane electronic performance data program yet.
    From what I looked at, they don't have the 80k XV90 rated with any 3.5 ton equipment, so I doubt the XV95 would be.

    I think you would have to go to the 100k XV95 furnace to get a fully ARI rated system with a 3.5 ton outdoor unit.

    To bad they don't have a 80k XV90 or 95 with the next blower up like they do with the XV80.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    999
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I'm guessing that model number is actually TUH2B080A9V3A.

    I don't like the blower in that thing for use in a 3.5 ton system. Under ideal circumstances, with an ideal installation, it is at the outer limit of its blower capacity for a 3.5 ton cooling system.

    The XV95 isn't in my Trane electronic performance data program yet.
    From what I looked at, they don't have the 80k XV90 rated with any 3.5 ton equipment, so I doubt the XV95 would be.
    You're right on the model number. Originally, I wanted the XV90 as the technical specs indicated that it could put out 1600 cooling CFM, but was informed that they could no longer get one. Are you saying that the blower could not handle 1400 CFM?

    I read a comment here that the '95' was a '90' with a different heat exchanger, so I'm assuming (until told otherwiese) that the blower will be the same.

    There is no way that I could use a '100' as it would be more oversized than my current 125,000 BTU (going on 20 years old) unit. Looks like it may be back to the drawing board.

    I think you would have to go to the 100k XV95 furnace to get a fully ARI rated system with a 3.5 ton outdoor unit.
    What is meant by 'fully ARI rated'? The 3 coils are listed with my model number on their page. I have been having difficulties when using the search page so my info might be lacking.


    AM

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Round Rock
    Posts
    3,562
    My experience with ADP coils has been less than pleasing. Everyone I have run across was replaced due to problems with leaks. One of our customers bought this same setup from some another contractor. He wanted 14 SEER and he sold him 12 SEER units with these coils. The guy wanted and thought he was paying for 14 SEER units with matching Trane coils. Needless to say he is our customer now. We installed the matching Trane coils after all 3 of them started leaking and he paid for the Trane coils, he lost some SEER but got reliability. We've had to install a few ADP coils when the supply house ran out of coils and that was all they had. They were also replaced with Carrier tin plated coils within 1 year.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    2,677
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I'm guessing that model number is actually TUH2B080A9V3A.

    I don't like the blower in that thing for use in a 3.5 ton system. Under ideal circumstances, with an ideal installation, it is at the outer limit of its blower capacity for a 3.5 ton cooling system.

    The XV95 isn't in my Trane electronic performance data program yet.
    From what I looked at, they don't have the 80k XV90 rated with any 3.5 ton equipment, so I doubt the XV95 would be.

    I think you would have to go to the 100k XV95 furnace to get a fully ARI rated system with a 3.5 ton outdoor unit.

    To bad they don't have a 80k XV90 or 95 with the next blower up like they do with the XV80.
    Are you sure on the blower capacity Mark, my 2000 TUY shows that the 080 will do 3.5ton with the dip switches both to off.
    You can't fix stupid

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    Quote Originally Posted by cmajerus View Post
    Are you sure on the blower capacity Mark, my 2000 TUY shows that the 080 will do 3.5ton with the dip switches both to off.
    I didn't say it couldn't be set to it, I just said I don't like it because, with everything about the system being ideal, it is at the very limit of the blowers capacity. 1400 CFM is the absolute best that furnace will do, as the ESP climbs over .5" WC, the CFM drop off quite a bit. Put a cased A coil on top of that furnace, and a media filter in the return, and you may be at .5" WC ESP before the duct system is even figured in.

    Here in 80% furnace land, we just use the one with the bigger blower. Unfortunately they don't offer the bigger blower on the 80k condensing furnaces.

    Quote Originally Posted by ampulman View Post
    What is meant by 'fully ARI rated'? The 3 coils are listed with my model number on their page. I have been having difficulties when using the search page so my info might be lacking.
    There is no listing for the 80k XV90 or XV95 furnace in combination with that outdoor unit and any indoor coil in the ARI directory or Trane's electronic performance data program.

    Here is the complete list of of ratings, with extended performance data, I have for that outdoor unit.
    http://www.markbeiser.com/HVAC/docum...4042rating.htm
    Last edited by mark beiser; 12-04-2007 at 12:16 AM.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    999
    Mark, very interesting data--I will study it. What is the significance of the 'A' vs. the 'C' which I was quoted? Likewise, the 1000AA?

    Thanks again.

    AM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event