Scroll Compressors

I have a question about Scroll compressors and Hard start kits. I have heard in some circle's that Hard start kits ( which some companies sell to customers as a far better and more efficient way to start a compressor) - (some say 500% more effiecient) which will/may extend the life of a perfectly operational compressor ( even brand new unit). This being sold as an add on product (like "Zero Ice").

My question is - Is this true? And will it adversely affect scroll compressors. If it is true - Why wouldnt the manufacture include this device in new units. In my experience, it doesnt add up.

It is a question born many months ago and I have never searched out the truth until now. Laughably, every time I use one - I think of this question!

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!

Not needed on a scrol compressor.

I take them off all the time, techs put them on when they think the compressor is stuck. The compressor starts right up, then later the start kit burns up, cause the run capacitor was bad all along.

Quote Originally Posted by AtticAce View Post
    I take them off all the time, techs put them on when they think the compressor is stuck. The compressor starts right up, then later the start kit burns up, cause the run capacitor was bad all along.
    That being said, why do many 13 seer trane/american standard heat pumps with scroll compressors (trane's red scroll compressor) come with factory Hard start kits? The same is true with 13 seer Rheems with factory installed scroll compressors, they too come with hard start kits.

Because, that is known as a "spec buster". It's simply not needed the vast majority of the time but people, particularly contractors think they make the machine better. It can however reduce some "light dimming" but you will find no blanket bonus to having a start capacitor and relay.

I have a hard start cap on my new Goodman heat pump w/scroll. I was told to install a hard start cap because of the non-bleed TXV at the evap coil. The Goodman install manual mentions a hard start cap if a TXV is installed with a recip compressor, but it mentions nothing about a scroll compresssor.

Scroll start kits

Here's the official statement concerning start kits for scroll 1.5 thru 6.75 ton compressors.

"Start assist devices are usually not required, even if a system utilizes non-bleed expansion valves. Due to the inherent design of the Copeland Scroll, the internal compression components always start unloaded even if system pressures are not balanced. In addition, since internal compressor pressures are always balanced at startup, low voltage starting characteristics are excellent for Copeland Scroll compressors. Starting current on any compressor may result in a significant “sag” in voltage where a poor power supply is encountered. The low starting voltage reduces the starting torque of the compressor and subsequently increases the start time. This could cause light dimming or a buzzing noise where wire is pulled through conduit. The start components listed in Table 7 will substantially reduce start time and consequently the magnitude and duration of both light dimming and conduit buzzing."

This is the link to Copelands AE bulletins. Look at 4-1312

http://www.hvacrinfo.com/ae_index.htm

I put them on my home units to cut down on the gurgling / whining sound on start up.

Thank you, Mr. Powell.

Thanks Much!

Great answers!

good information.