Thread: furnace out

furnace out

i am going to have someone come look at my current Goodman system. it was installed in 1995, so i have no idea whether it's reached the end of its life or whether it will be repaired. the home was built in the mid 50s, and some of the old parts of the home have the old duct work, i think anyway (and ungrounded outlets) -- crummy stuff.

hopefully this furnace is fixable. but if i need a new system i think i need a better furnace than i have (i'd like to be more efficient if nothing else). we have added on to our home and i notice our new master suite bathroom is cold all of the time. we also have an additional family room that's been added on -- we've had the home 2 years so the family room was already here. i don't think the heater is reaching these areas well (and the duct work to this new area is new). i have a space heater in the family room and the master bathroom that are both used sparingly, but a new furnace should do away with that i would hope.

anyway, we're in michigan and it's cold here far too long. i have a ranch of over 3,000 square feet (basement is full and finished). i have read that systems don't make a whole lot of difference and that the contractor is the difference maker. is this fairly accurate? are there key questions i should ask when i am calling folks to come look at my situation and give me estimates? is there something they'll do that i should watch for? i realize i could be spending a lot of money so i want to try and get it right.

Most important (period)

1)The companies reputation is the most important factor - 92% of all new installations have some type of energy robbing installation or design problem. Direct responsibility of the installation company. Dont try to save money when it comes to this ( it WILL COST YOU MORE in the end!).
    2) The length and coverage of the manufactures warranty (Parts and LABOR)... (saves you money period!!!!) is the second major consideration

Nothing else is more important. (This ofcourse is just my opinion).

* Price of the install is just 30 percent of your decision!
    Last edited by DavidInAustin; 12-02-2007 at 01:45 PM.

As a Mi resident I feel in a good position to advise you here.

Additions on to homes don't always perform well when cobbled into a duct system designed for the original structure only.

Whether or not anew furnace would cure the problem entirely I think would require a professional evaluation of the duct system.

Our company has great success in creating solutions to under par duct systems with out building an entire new system.

In this neck of the woods 90 and 95% efficient furnace are the order of the day.

If you would like to discus this matter in more detail contact me by adding @gmail.com
    to my screen name.

The more detailed the info the better personal level of advice can be rendered thusly.

Thank you,

Clover Actual.
    Last edited by hvaclover; 12-02-2007 at 10:45 PM.

Twilli has one in his shop where do you live?
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Tell us where you are in MI. We have some good Michiganders (or whatever the you are) on here who might be able to help locally.

i am in east grand rapids.

i had a guy out and i will need a new one. this guy had a 2 stage Goodman Model GMH95 that he had in stock. i am leaning towards calling him and going with this, but i was going to do some research first. in the meantime, it's cold.

12 year old furnace shot> i would want to know why. I would also want a load calc done before a new one is installed so you get the correct size unit

i wouls also want the duct work evaluated as to weather or not it can handle a bigger or smaller furnace. May also be worth while looking into a 2=zone system

i understand it is cold there but to jump into something without thinking can turn into a big mistake

why cant the furnace be repaired even if temporary
    what did he say was wrong with it..

thanks for that info.

the furnace has a bad inducer motor or something along those lines (my memory is faltering). depending on the part, the cost was somewhere around $300. but the old furnace is really old. i think it was last inspected back in 1995, not installed then. so it's dilapidated and i hesitate to put more money into it.

i don't want to jump into anything, but i have a 6 and 7 year old and extra blankets aren't doing the trick well. our high tomorrow won't even get above freezing with the lows tonight down into the 20s. i'll talk my wife into trying to just pay to repair the one we've got and hope that this system lasts through the winter.
    Last edited by jayhawksean; 12-02-2007 at 07:39 PM.

you've got a 6 and 7 yr old. Do them a favor and get a new furnace, any good company can do a load calc, and get the proper size one in there for you right away. Unless we have more than 1 emergency changeout at a time we can change out a furnace the day after the sevice call, if its before noon we have done them the same day. I personally would not go Goodman, but lots of guys on here like them so they must be improved, I did cut a return drop onto one Friday, noticed they are thin cabinets, but it was insulated, used decent parts inside, some things I saw that I thought could have been designed better, but decent low cost unit. Main issues with it was who put it in, I took pics will post in wall of shame sometime. Furnace is 3 yrs old and I just cut a return in it now They just leftthe front door off with filters duct taped to the unit.( once they remembered there wasn't any) This guy is a pro too!! Sad.
    You can't fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by DavidInAustin View Post
    1)The companies reputation is the most important factor - 92% of all new installations have some type of energy robbing installation or design problem. Direct responsibility of the installation company. Dont try to save money when it comes to this ( it WILL COST YOU MORE in the end!).
    2) The length and coverage of the manufactures warranty (Parts and LABOR)... (saves you money period!!!!) is the second major consideration

Nothing else is more important. (This of course is just my opinion).

* Price of the install is just 30 percent of your decision!
    Dave welcome and a good post you should apply for a Pro. status we can always use folks like you.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Dave welcome and a good post you should apply for a Pro. status we can always use folks like you.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113
    I am considering it. It would not only be a pleasure but a wise decision to join I feel. Hope they dont shoot my app down!...lol

Quote Originally Posted by jayhawksean View Post
    i am in east grand rapids.

i had a guy out and i will need a new one. this guy had a 2 stage Goodman Model GMH95 that he had in stock. i am leaning towards calling him and going with this, but i was going to do some research first. in the meantime, it's cold.
    Other side of the state from me.