Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

booster fans in 6" metal ducts

Does anyone have any actual experience trying to increase air flow in a 6" hard metal duct using booster fans? My dining room gets air from a 25' long 6" duct, but it only as two bends, one at the start above the master duct and the other coming up through the wall. The actual gas blower is 4 tons and should be enough, but the force at the end is weak. Were you able to get a better air flow?

Duct design is critically important - On your plenum (if a spider duct system) - is there a supply duct at the opposite end of the furnace output? By this I mean if there is a supply duct at the direct opposite end of the output of the furnace (whether it be a spider system or supply trunk line) - move it to the side of the ductwork and cap the end of the duct work. You could be losing a significant amount of static pressure that would be critical loss in the longer runs of a duct system (in a properly sized duct system). If you eliminate the obvious problems first, as a last resort, add the fan.
    Last edited by DavidInAustin; 12-02-2007 at 01:15 PM.

We've done it, to no success.

They don't work. Expierenced the same prob. Turned out I had a bryant frnace that could be equipped with a 1/4, 1/3, or a 1/2 horse power motor. Blower)

I have 2500 sq ft and when I removed the the duct booster I happen to check my blower. It wa on a 1/3 so I bumped it too a 1/2. Got better airflow but still not as good as rest of house.

Quote Originally Posted by rkthomas13 View Post
    Does anyone have any actual experience trying to increase air flow in a 6" hard metal duct using booster fans? My dining room gets air from a 25' long 6" duct, but it only as two bends, one at the start above the master duct and the other coming up through the wall. The actual gas blower is 4 tons and should be enough, but the force at the end is weak. Were you able to get a better air flow?
    The propeller fans are nearly useless. The backward inclined booster fans work well.

But it sounds like you have a bad duct design.

If the ducts are accessible enlarging the trunk and branch duct will improve the air flow.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

I installed a propeller type booster fan in my house about 6 years ago and it worked great. this was for a small bathroom that had about 20 CFM coming out of the duct. fan boosted it to around 50. still awful, but the bathroom is plenty warm now. i think the duct separated in the wall, but there was no way to find or repair it.

i don't know how much of a difference it would make to a room like your dining room that has a bigger load

20-50 is certainly possible if the duct's problem was low supply static or the take off was in an eddy of sorts. Increasing one with a propellar type fan that actually blocks as much volume will hardly get you from say 70 cfm to 100.

willing to look at my duct diagram and suggest?

Would anyone be willing to look at a fax of the diagram of my ductwork and suggest where I might try to add booster fans, maybe spider cage fans or whatever to get more airflow on the other side of my house? I just can not find any hvac tech here who is willing to take on this kind of trial and error work. I can add the fans, but I need a pro to tell me what size and type to add and where.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Sure 352.795.6601

diagram of ductwork

Thanks. I shall post the diagram, (which I did myself, so not very pro), today. I also have digital pictures of the ductwork itself as well as the furnace, the steel supports, the joists, etc., which I could email to you so you have a better picture of my situation.
    I have tried to find a pro here with real experience of using dampers, booster fans, etc. to augment air flow and even out the heat, but so far have no really found anyone. I found plenty of guys who want to put in a new heat pump in the attic, but no one who has real experience making the existing system work better.

If you call tech support for the blower manufacturer they will tell you where to put the fan for best performance. I did it and got 50% more air when I placed it where they suggested ( 2/3 of the way down the line) compared to where I placed it the first time (1/4 down the line).

Make sure you get a real duct fan if you go that route. Here's two good ones:

www.fantech.net/fkd.htm
    www.atmosphere.com

If you ask your friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc... I'll guess that over 75% will note at least one room not having adequate airflow.

Of the major home system areas (electrical, plumbing, framing, HVAC), I'll wager the HVAC sub-system is the LEAST professional and WORST implemented.

Why? Most home owners know right away whether plumbing leaks, hot water is inadequate or fuses pop. However, it may take a homeowner years to "discover" poor HVAC performance - weather changes and demand of the HVAC system is hugely dependent on changing weather conditions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast