Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: nest thermostat

Why not use an isolator relay?

Sent from my van

id check the amp draw on that circuit. also when you say nest gave him a new stat did the give him a new module and sub-base? did he/you install both new?

We wont touch them.... just tell customer we will replace it with anything we stock n work on

Quote Originally Posted by tegtma08 View Post
    We wont touch them.... just tell customer we will replace it with anything we stock n work on
    I will agree with you BUT..... The world will be wanting the NEST T-stats, so you better get used to them.

My two Pasos.

Yuma,
    What is snow? Is it that white stuff in a freezer?

Honeywell wifi lennox icomfort little different but close enough
    Last edited by tegtma08; 05-09-2014 at 05:30 PM. Reason: hit wrong button

Quote Originally Posted by surenuff View Post
    I am not familiar with this type of t-stat. But for all practical purposes, it should have the same kind of contacts as other t-stats, and therefore should not be dropping voltage though its contacts. Since it does this in the heat mode but not the cool mode, I would think it could have something to do with how the t-stat is sending or switching power to the reversing valve "o" and "b" terminals of the t-stat when it is operating in the heat mode. what kind of unit is it on? This may help us help you.
    nest is all electronic, there are no conventional relays. nest is poo.
    ~~
    Nest is poo...

Thanks for all the input, i do believe the stat is the problem. taking stat out of the equation solves the problem. the nest tech support does admit power stealing problems with this stat.

I got a call today from a Gene La-somethingother at Google Nest Labs. He left a voice message about how he didnt appreciate my calling the Nest "poo".

There's also a bunch more he left regarding how they're working on staging and other gobbledgygook. He wanted me to call him so we could talk about the issues, etc. (like it's not all been covered here ad infinitum). Though, I'm sure it's more of a sales pitch... trying to convince me to support something I know to cause problems with most everything. It wont even work with the neighbor's 1952 Lennox furnace that runs a 48 volt transformer...

Anyone else get this call? I still have the number if you want it to give the guy some 'feedback' ...
    ~~
    Nest is poo...

Dump the NEST and be done with it.

No common and it becomes a power robbing stat and as we should know that usually leads to issues on systems other than bare basic types. Even HW puts a resistor in their power robbing stats for certain systems.

The NEST is beautifully marketed, but poorly engineered. There are far more reliable stats that will give the same results as the NEST.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

yeah... "Nest is poo"
    ~~
    Nest is poo...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12