Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inducer leak?

also, I hope the a/c drain isnt hard piped into the furnace drain without an air gap.

This looks way to much like DIY!!!

matt

looks to me that there is no way for the condensate drain for flue to drain... I have installed these 90% fau's and you have to go through the manual tofigure out your induced motor location for however you install the furnace. upflow,horizontal etc..Looks like its going to drain inside the IDM housing....No Bueno
    Sink or Swim!
    A Man has to know his limitations..
    To be old and wise, one must be young and dumb..

Quote Originally Posted by Mstrav View Post
    Also your drain tubes apear to be still set for horizontal which is the factory setting. they need to be changed for the upflow.

matt
    Maybe that's the problem then. I have looked through the manual but either I am misreading something or it says that it's factory upflow.

Could someone reread that for me? (could be the cause of the leak?).
    And should that yellow cap on inducer fitting stay where it is?

More pics:

Quote Originally Posted by Mstrav View Post
    also, I hope the a/c drain isnt hard piped into the furnace drain without an air gap.

This looks way to much like DIY!!!

matt
    It was but I got it disconnected after reading the manual Gotta buy a T and put it back together. Good eyes!

Quote Originally Posted by yorkdude View Post
    looks to me that there is no way for the condensate drain for flue to drain... I have installed these 90% fau's and you have to go through the manual tofigure out your induced motor location for however you install the furnace. upflow,horizontal etc..Looks like its going to drain inside the IDM housing....No Bueno
    Manual is right here: http://www.ducanehvac.com/res/pdfs/gas/CMPEV_Manual.pdf

It is draining inside the housing

better get someone out to inspect the secondary heat exchanger, drain looks to be hooked up proper. the inducer drain is supposed to be like that, it whips the condensate up into that rubber boot, don't know why some design the systems that way but they do.

Most of the condensate drains through the tube on the left side of the collector box.
    You can't fix stupid

Assuming all said is for real-

This guy is licensed? For what I wonder- was there a permit? Go to the Authority Having Jurisdiction(city, county, building dept) and give them an earful, then find out if he's bonded and go after that bond $$ if possible- seriously- do not touch or fix anything yourself- get it finished properly. Give the supplier an earful too, let them know about this clown, and do get in touch w/ Ducane to get a pro referral that can assure warranty. Did you pay this guy out before finishing? Use the rest of the money to get it done right. Do you have any contract?
    Kinda weird- what's with all the stuff there, are you living there?
    Who said you had to hire this clown?(no offense to Clowns).
    There is a lot wrong with the job shown in the photos, Too much for it to be considered completed by any standards, and get all that cr*p off the top of the unit.
    Who's doing the boiler for the radiant work?- Mr Budget again?

Quote Originally Posted by rimek View Post
    Assuming all said is for real-

This guy is licensed? For what I wonder- was there a permit? Go to the Authority Having Jurisdiction(city, county, building dept) and give them an earful, then find out if he's bonded and go after that bond $$ if possible- seriously- do not touch or fix anything yourself- get it finished properly. Give the supplier an earful too, let them know about this clown, and do get in touch w/ Ducane to get a pro referral that can assure warranty. Did you pay this guy out before finishing? Use the rest of the money to get it done right. Do you have any contract?
    Kinda weird- what's with all the stuff there, are you living there?
    Who said you had to hire this clown?(no offense to Clowns).
    There is a lot wrong with the job shown in the photos, Too much for it to be considered completed by any standards, and get all that cr*p off the top of the unit.
    Who's doing the boiler for the radiant work?- Mr Budget again?
    It's a long story but believe me, at THAT time, I couldn't go with different contractor. I really, REALLY wish I could have, especially that he's licensed for just one or 2 years now and didn't have any previous experience in HVAC

Now, I am not letting him back for any reason, I want to have it fixed just right. Probably there are things that cannot be fixed at low cost (ex. the way he did the ducting, boots, ect.). I just have to live with that. He used to be a friend of the family and hence, we didn't have a written contract (kick my ass, please).

He wanted to do my infloor but by the time I learned his craftsmanship, I said no way. I'd rather have my plumber do it once I order a custom designed system (had couple bids in already). Hopefully he can follow instructions

After all, I don't want to cause him any problems directly (I should but I am not vindictive). On the other hand, I have nothing against Ducane or county/township inspector going after his 4 letters.

And yes, we are living here already. It's no fun yet, but we are getting there

I got a CO/smoke/gas (LP/Nat) detector installed in mechanical room, just in case he screwed up really bad. That red cup is doing it's job, catching all the water and directing it to the bin below.

Whether it's a poor quality of Ducane furnace (bad seal on that cold end cover) or crappy work done by my ex-HVAC guy, I will find out probably on Saturday. I will keep You informed.

And please don't think I am stupid or retarded because I hired him not knowing how good of a job he can do. I keep my business straight but at that time, I simply had to do it. Sad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12