Groaning Heat Pump

We had a new Maytag Heat Pump installed last year, and shortly after installation I noticed a pretty loud (you can hear it everywhere in the house) groaning noise coming from the Heat Pump. The noise seemed to occur when the heat pump would cycle into defrost (or at least that is what I think it was doing). It seems freon related, and I think the noise is carrying through the lines.

I called the installer, and he had the factory rep come out and he did get to hear the noise. The rep said that all scroll compressors make the noise, and it had to do with the heat pump going into defrost mode. We went on to say it was 'normal', and nothing to be concerned about.

Once summer came, and we switched to A/C we never heard the noise again. Now that it's winter again, the noise is back - and it seems like it is louder than last year (although that could be my mind playing tricks on me). Also, it seemed like it would only occur once per heat cycle last year, and this year it seems to be occurring twice as often (2 times in a cycle).

What I would like to know is if any of the professional installers on this site are familiar with such a groaning noise being 'normal' operation on a scroll based heat pump. I don't want to start a fight with Maytag if it's really true that this is normal operation... but I just can't believe this is by design. To me it sounds like a $5,000 piece of junk (with all that groaning).

Thanks!!!
    -Jim

I'm not familiar with the Maytag line, but most scroll compressor when they go into defrost do make a grinding noise for a couple of seconds. Newer technology on some brands of heat pumps have what's called "quiet shift" or "quiet defrost". What this does is turn off the compressor, shift the valve and restart the compressor which stops the noise, usually.

The going into defrost twice a cycle is a problem, should only go into defrost every 60-90 minutes.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

thanks so much for your reply. I do not think the system is going into defrost twice, but I think it's making the groaning when it goes into, and now when it comes out of defrost mode. Last year I do not believe it was making the noise when it did both - I think it only did it when it went into defrost mode.

So, I guess if I am reading your reply correctly, it would seem that Maytag has not included this "quiet shift" technology on their line of heat pumps. That's a shame, since it really detracts from an otherwise really nice system. My neighbors all think I bought a piece of junk (yes, it's loud enough for them to hear too!)

-Jim

Quote Originally Posted by karsthuntr View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Maytag line, but most scroll compressor when they go into defrost do make a grinding noise for a couple of seconds. Newer technology on some brands of heat pumps have what's called "quiet shift" or "quiet defrost". What this does is turn off the compressor, shift the valve and restart the compressor which stops the noise, usually.

The going into defrost twice a cycle is a problem, should only go into defrost every 60-90 minutes.

Putting into or out of defrost is the same to the compressor, the high side pressure is dumped into the suction side causing a brief new load on the compressor. Karst was eluding to a defrost control that shuts the compressor off for about 5 seconds when it goes into or comes out of defrost allowing the inertia of the refrigerant flow to settle a little. I also dont know what Nordyne uses for a defrost control.

I've got a new Carrier 19i Infinity and it does it also. Sounds like a loud whoosing sound like something is releasing pressure. Only happens when it's cold outside approaching 35 degrees or so. I only hear it while in my den which is located near the compressor. The Infinity doesn't seem to care, it runs smooth as silk.

Reminds me when the diesels Oldsmobiles first came out. Sounded like a thrashing machine, but, ran fine.

Just have to tell the neighbors, when they get the latest technology, theirs will probbly do it also.

YES! It's definitely temperature sensitive. It was warmer (40's) this weekend, and I never heard it do it once - even though the heat pump did run. Funny thing is, I thought I read on Carrier's website that the Infinity 19i had "Quiet Shift" technology. Makes me wonder how good that is. Karsthuntr did say "usually" when referencing that technology. You're right on another point as well... other than that annoying noise, this heat pump is one of the quietest I have ever heard. Most of the time you don't even know it's running.

The only trouble I have is that I can hear it in every room in the house. Our house is not very big, so there is no escaping it. I wonder if the lines were insulated if it might make it less noticeable. I might ask my installer about that.

Thanks again for your response.

-Jim

Quote Originally Posted by OlManRivah View Post
    I've got a new Carrier 19i Infinity and it does it also. Sounds like a loud whoosing sound like something is releasing pressure. Only happens when it's cold outside approaching 35 degrees or so. I only hear it while in my den which is located near the compressor. The Infinity doesn't seem to care, it runs smooth as silk.

Reminds me when the diesels Oldsmobiles first came out. Sounded like a thrashing machine, but, ran fine.

Just have to tell the neighbors, when they get the latest technology, theirs will probbly do it also.