Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    We ran the test again today, everything was normal, cap tested within 5% so all was good.

Someone mentioned the wire going the same direction. That is a possibility. The common wire was directly down off the contractor. The run wire was in a bundle, but had a loop right by the common. That's where I took the C-R reading. So current flow could have been down on the common and up on the start where it went through the clamp. I will have to experiment some more and get back with results.

www.ncidavid. B L O G S P O T .com

Enter in this website...not sure why the HVAC-TALK mother ship is forcing asterisks to divert any mentioning of ********. Obviously enter in website with no spaces

scroll down to March 29th for his blog on testing a capacitor live.

Interesting.... it automatically added asterisks again!!! Very interesting
    If I spell it B L O G S P O T it will work

Lets try blogS P O T

will try ********

how about ********

I've been doing this for years and it almost always works out. It's a lot easier to just do a few amp draws on pms than to pull wires and check the capacitor dead. Did you do a resistance check on the compressor. Maybe with the compressor running on a dead capacitor it had some hot windings screwing up the resistances causing weird amp draws? Just kinda guessing on that though. My opinion would be just a bad amp draw measurement.

(((PEACE IS THAT BRIEF MOMENT IN HISTORY WHERE EVERYBODY STANDS AROUND RELOADING)))

ill be dang. wonder what else forbidden
    (((PEACE IS THAT BRIEF MOMENT IN HISTORY WHERE EVERYBODY STANDS AROUND RELOADING)))

Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post
    What you need to do is skip that test because it's bogus. As for the results you got, you had the common reversed in the clamp relative to the run, causing the currents to add. Normally they will subtract.
    Trane units facilitate this happening by the way they wired common to the other side of cap

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12