300 ton evaporator tubes

i found these tubes at a manufacturing plant. they have water treatment NOW...but too late. the deepest part is 1/2" from the end of the tube sheet. the condensor isn't much better.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "If you pull one more stunt like you just pulled with Tommy, you won't have to get on a plane because I will personally kick your ass from here to Korea!" - Best of the Best

were you telling them forever that they needed water treatment?

I've got some chlorox, it fixes lots of messes.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

How much blood do I have to bathe in to get clean?

Don't look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Looks like a damn honeycomb. How did they operate at such a reduced capacity for so long?

8 years of no water treatment, 2 years of serious maint.

they have a new guy in charge and he is getting a lot done. it is a plastics plant...55F chilled water is more than cold enough. when it goes down, they have a couple of other chillers to help out, but basically, production just slows down so nobody really noticed or cared.

the really sad part is that their corporate office said, you broke it, you buy a new one. with what?...a pop can drive?

they had me fill it up and restart it. i told them good luck. the really big bang next summer, right before the lights go out, will be the chiller motor filled up with water. if you never knew anything about the tubes, you would have said that this was a perfect chiller...works great. i got involved just this fall.

good luck.
    "If you pull one more stunt like you just pulled with Tommy, you won't have to get on a plane because I will personally kick your ass from here to Korea!" - Best of the Best

It never ceases to amaze me how companies let their investments go to crap.

Given where the chiller is they look normal to me. Typical for a Manufacturing Plant, Plant managers get yearly bonuses by keeping operating expences down. He just wont get a bonus this year.

whats the tower look like?

Tube sheet erosion

Belzona has metal replacing products and procedures to fix that. Not cheap, lots of prep. Have not tried it, procedures require grit-blasting.

chiller thriller tried the belzona on a couple of machines about five years ago. thought it worked great until we realized it was corroding heavily behind the product tried to get it off. what a bi***. ended up retubing machine a few years later unrelated to belzona and because the coating got inside the first inch of the tubes ended up breaker countless draw rods at five hundred a pop cause you couldnt get that stuff outta there.

cool

Quote Originally Posted by BergerMech Rob View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how companies let their investments go to crap.
    What are you crazy? Look how much money they saved.
    Normally what happens next is the Company gets mad at the new Maint supervisor for spending too much money [ aka fixing things] Then they either complain or stop using the company that fixes everything and go back to the people who let it go in the first place. And or they blame the company who serviced it even though they refused maint and repairs for years, god i love this business.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.