+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Metering devices

Post Likes

Metering devices

Hey guys, just looking for some general info on the different types of metering used on different types of barrels. I've been googling stuff but I'm not really coming up with the info I'm looking for.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    You will have to be more specific....are you just wanting to know general knowledge about the idea or are you looking to expand your library?

Post Likes
    Both.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    What do you mean: "barrels" ?

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by 929rc51 View Post
    Hey guys, just looking for some general info on the different types of metering used on different types of barrels. I've been googling stuff but I'm not really coming up with the info I'm looking for.

PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Evap barrels? Am I using the wrong terminology here? Sorry.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Like a chiller barrel? That would be an evaporator barrel.

Refrigerant metering can be done with anything which will restrict the flow. A hand valve, a mechanical TXV, an electronic valve, a computer controlled valve, a float on the high or the lower side.

Any interesting thing would be to try and work out a huge cap tube - say a few hundred tons of cooling capacity. <g>

Why do you want to know these things?

PHM
    ------
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    I am putting together general chiller info for my coworkers.

Post Likes
    I am new to the forum but I have worked on a few hydronic systems, a 25 ton Carrier being the most recent and it used a 17 step electronic txv, the other was a mechanical, the mechanical was an older 5 ton.

Post Likes
    I've worked on a good amount of air cooled and a couple of centrifugal's but I've never really researched the different metering devices and which barrels they usually are combined with. I've seen a flooded barrel with a hand valve, a few different DX, and a falling film all with exv's. Just want a better knowledge.

Post Likes
    Both were flooded barrel and both had hand valves,like any other evap. if a guy did the math I dont think choice of what style would matter. Are you going to build you a system?

Post Likes
    Low pressure machines generally just have an orifice plate.

You're going to need to be more specific in what you need. That is unless you want to sort through three thousand posts on "generalizations".

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Post Likes
    Not trying to build a system, just trying to get more knowledge. Are hand valves typically uses on flooded barrels? What type of barrels are on low pressure machines that use orifice plates? Is there a difference between dry expansion and direct expansion, or do they just use the term dry to differentiate from wet(flooded)? Are TXV's used on larger chillers? If so are they used on flooded barrels, or just DX? When there is a float valve on the condenser is there anything else used on the evap? See where I'm going with this?

Post Likes
    Holy crap. I guess I asked for that one.

Not trying to build a system, just trying to get more knowledge. Are hand valves typically uses on flooded barrels?
    Not typically, but very occasionally. Really depends on the system, probably see hand valves more in industrial processing plants, like wine vintners and large scale vegetable processors.

What type of barrels are on low pressure machines that use orifice plates?
    Orifice plates are used on Trane CVHE centrifugals and I believe York YT chillers, R113, R11, and R123. I am sure there are others.

Is there a difference between dry expansion and direct expansion, or do they just use the term dry to differentiate from wet(flooded)?
    DX or direct expansion, is basically stating that the medium having the heat removed is via refrigerant. Flooded is DX but in a different manner.

Are TXV's used on larger chillers?
    Yes, as are EXV's. level controls and orifice plates.

If so are they used on flooded barrels, or just DX?
    All of the above, question is difficult to answer.

When there is a float valve on the condenser is there anything else used on the evap?
    No floats on the condenser, the evaporator refrigerant level is typically controlled for a flooded evap. The compressor then pull the vapor off the top causing the refrigerant to flash, absorbing heat as it converts.

See where I'm going with this?
    Nope.

GT

Post Likes
    I find it interesting the differences we all have in terminology. Is "barrel" a slang term? Or do manufacturers use that term?

The manufacturer I worked for didn't have "barrel" listed in any of the IOMs, service or parts manuals. The majority of my career was spent working on flooded chillers and I don't recall ever calling an evaporator or a condenser a "barrel".

Also never referred to an impeller as a "wheel".

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post
    I find it interesting the differences we all have in terminology. Is "barrel" a slang term? Or do manufacturers use that term?

The manufacturer I worked for didn't have "barrel" listed in any of the IOMs, service or parts manuals. The majority of my career was spent working on flooded chillers and I don't recall ever calling an evaporator or a condenser a "barrel".

Also never referred to an impeller as a "wheel".

Ya, but do you still call partially loaded water cooled screw chillers "Screaming b!tches"? I do....

Post Likes
    Sorry about the slang. GT thanks for the answers that helps. Why do you say jo high side floats though? I think that was mentioned in the 6th post?

Post Likes

Wink

DX or direct expansion, is basically stating that the medium having the heat removed is via refrigerant. Flooded is DX but in a different manner.

I'd suggest Wilbert Stoecker's book
    " The Industrial Refrigeration Handbook"

This definition of direct expansion is well...
    Incorrect
    Majorly incorrect

[/I]

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TF12 View Post

I'd suggest Wilbert Stoecker's book
    " The Industrial Refrigeration Handbook"

This definition of direct expansion is well...
    Incorrect
    Majorly incorrect

[/I]
    how bout "dry expansion" ? correct or incorrect?

http://www.ref-wiki.com/technical-in...aporators.html

Post Likes
    Dry expansion
    "A form of direct expansion. The difference is in dry expansion a portion of the coil is reserved for excess superheating of a gas."

Post Likes
    Direct expansion
    Liquid refrigerant enters the expansion valve and only vapor leaves the evaporator by direct route through the exchanger.
    Flooded evaporator
    Relies on natural convection to circulate more refrigerant through the evaporator than what evaporates. A level control admits liquid refrigerant to replace the amount vaporized

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in