Scroll compressors

Scroll compressors

In another thread I mentioned that only one contractor had actually taken measurements and inspected insulation etc, then used software to size a replacement system for my house. 4 or 5 others based their proposals on the size of the existing furnace or the size of the house as I remembered it. (Of course, realtors measure the outside of the house, and it was like 1850 sq ft when I bought it, but with 1 foot thick walls the inside is only 1511 sq ft).

Anyway, the guy who did the measurement and prescribed a considerably smaller furnace and AC than the others is a Carrier dealer. In this case, the AC has a reciprocating compressor instead of a Scroll. Should I care about that? From what I read, scrolls are much more reliable.

I don't think Carrier uses recips in anything these days.

Perhaps you were quoted the Infinity 17 (24ANA7), which uses a two-stage reciprocating compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    I don't think Carrier uses recips in anything these days.
    The only recip Carrier uses is in one of the Infinity two stage units, a Bristol TS which has been very reliable.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

The quoted condenser was indeed the 24ANA736A003, hence not a scroll.

What about the statement that "a scroll wears in, a reciprocating unit wears out"?

Quote Originally Posted by cokoliso View Post

What about the statement that "a scroll wears in, a reciprocating unit wears out"?

was told that same exact phrase at a training class years ago, have not seen anything to prove it wrong........

The quoted condenser was indeed the 24ANA736A003, hence not a scroll.

I have the equivalent Bryant model and I am happy with. It does has better split between High/Low compared to the equivalent scroll.
    I went through the same analysis and did a lot of reading. Here is an interesting paper from Bristol:

http://www.bristolcompressors.com/in...te%20Paper.pdf

A surprising number of high end units still run piston compressors. Mostly the Bristol TS, and I think Trane runs a pair of piston compressors in the XL19i, but I am not all that sure about that one.

In theory, scrolls are more forgiving of mistakes, like liquid slugging, dirt, etc., but those are gross installation errors anyway, and even a scroll may not survive forever in these cases.

In another thread I mentioned that only one contractor had actually taken measurements and inspected insulation etc, then used software to size a replacement system for my house. 4 or 5 others based their proposals on the size of the existing furnace or the size of the house as I remembered it. (Of course, realtors measure the outside of the house, and it was like 1850 sq ft when I bought it, but with 1 foot thick walls the inside is only 1511 sq ft).

Anyway, the guy who did the measurement and prescribed a considerably smaller furnace and AC than the others is a Carrier dealer. In this case, the AC has a reciprocating compressor instead of a Scroll. Should I care about that? From what I read, scrolls are much more reliable.

Oh yea, forgot about that sucker. Personally I like the idea of the 50/50 staging of that one vs the scroll which in net effect is more like 80/20.

Where's dash? He'll tell you that's a good choice