Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by non-expert View Post
    Ryan, have you used Goodman? On a DIY forum, Goodman and Amana are regularly trashed by participants, but some defenders say it is because of the poor installation jobs due to their lack of tight control over the sales channel.
    I do not have a Goodman. I have a Payne (basically a lower-end Carrier). United Air Temp can install other brands besides Goodman and Amana.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin59 View Post
    I have a question that may be a little off the subject but was wondering about the efficiency of heat pumps the DC area. My manual J software shows design conditions of 91/12. I live in central Texas and we have some issues with condensor coil icing in high humidity conditions (our design conditions are 97/30). I have received a number of complaints from homeowners with the frequent defrost cycling and really try to avoid using heat pumps for this reason.
    Not a problem.

Second Opinion, do you live and work in the D.C. area by chance? You seem to have the ability to comment about equipment and contractors in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Second Opinion, do you live and work in the D.C. area by chance? You seem to have the ability to comment about equipment and contractors in this area.
    Yes and Yes

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Yes and Yes
    Second Opinion
    I had the impression that this area is heavy with Bryant/Carrier dealers and advocates.Or is just a quirk of the ones that I sampled? I used some recommendations and the lists from Checkbook.org.

Quote Originally Posted by non-expert View Post
    Second Opinion
    I had the impression that this area is heavy with Bryant/Carrier dealers and advocates.Or is just a quirk of the ones that I sampled? I used some recommendations and the lists from Checkbook.org.
    Just a quirk. There is plenty of all brands. I happen to know quite a lot of them. You have all of the 5 major brands Trane, Carrier, Lennox, Rheem, York.

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Just a quirk. There is plenty of all brands. I happen to know quite a lot of them. You have all of the 5 major brands Trane, Carrier, Lennox, Rheem, York.

do you have personal preferences, ranked, and reasons why? how about pricing? I heard that Goodman's tend to be cheap and Trane tends to be expensive.

There is a variety of heat pumps in my neighborhood with a lot Carrier or Bryant. Second Opinion, do you think you could tell me the company you work for (by email if necessary)? I'd really be curious to know which one; chances are I've heard of them.

Non-expert you are correct that Goodman products tend to be cheap and Trane products tend to be expensive. Although I like Trane products, I don't mind Carrier/Bryant, Rheem, York, etc. From what we discussed via email, it sounded like you had a good contractor. If you're still looking for a contractor, I'd still recommend the ones I sent to you via email.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin59 View Post
    The main complaint involves high utility bills. After the shock of the first high bill the homeowner gets very attuned to how often the system runs and then gets very concerned that the unit is running but the blower is not.
    Use a heat pump with on demand defrost. Instead of time and temp.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Use a heat pump with on demand defrost. Instead of time and temp.
    Does that mean the homeowner chooses when he/she would like the defrost sequence to begin?

No. The board monitors the OD temp, and the temp of the coil, and how long since the last defrost to determine if a defrost is needed.
    After the OD temp drops so low(varies by manufacturer), they won't go into defrost more then once every 6 hours.
    Saves a lot of electric not having needless defrost cycles.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12