Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: York v. Bryant?

York v. Bryant?

I am replacing my 40+ year-old gas furnace, and I have two estimates from two contractors. But I don't know -- is a Bryant 80% furnace better/more reliable than a York Affinity 80%? How about their 90% units?

They also quoted me other choices -- two-stage or single stage, variable speed, etc. Are there rules of thumb as to when a two-stage furnace is worth it and when it is not? Or when a variable speed fan is worth it?

I live in Virginia, if it matters.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Its not the brand that matters as much as the contractor thats installing it.
    2 stage is for comfort.
    VS blowers can make up for less the perfect duct sizing.
    If you have rooms that don't heat as evenly as other rooms, running th blower 24/7 can help even out the temps, and VS blowers use less electric then a standard blower when used like that.

If you utilities gas rates are high, you may want to go with a 90% and save some money on your heating bill.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

You should compare the warranty between them. York would most likely have the better warranty and the contractor would be a dealer trained to install it. I heard that Bryant sells their name out to other manufacturers so...

Deprodigy- please elaborate on your last statement.

I would like to know what you are referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by tbox8098 View Post
    Deprodigy- please elaborate on your last statement.

I would like to know what you are referring to.
    How products can have a brand name but not actually be brand name?

Are you talking about the relationship between Carrier, Bryant, and Payne?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Are you talking about the relationship between Carrier, Bryant, and Payne?

Like ICP. I don't think Carrier would buy something from someone else and put a Carrier sticker on it though? Vice versa I see though.

Carrier, Bryant, Payne, and ICP products are all part of United Technologies.

How do you tell where it was actually built?

I don't know, but I think I've heard ICP products are built in the same factory as Carrier. A pro can confirm the statements I've made.

Yes they are made in the same building but on different lines and different employees.

Depordigy- you are wrong -Carrier/ Bryant and most manufacturers buy some products and private label them. I.e. Boilers/electronic air cleaners/HRV's etc.

The 5th digit of the model # tells where it was made. Some are lumped into a misc. category. The most common

A=Indy furnace plant
    E=Collierville TN
    V=Outside ventors
    X=Monterey, Mexico

Yes, there are products with a Carrier logo on them made by others. As Tbox says, boilers are a prime example. In the past, oil furnaces too but now are made by a UT subsidiary.

I was in the furnace plant earlier this year courtesy of one of our HT members. We were in the ICP section. You wouldn't know Carrier or Bryant existed looking around that part of the plant.

Quote Originally Posted by tbox8098 View Post
    Yes they are made in the same building but on different lines and different employees.

Depordigy- you are wrong -Carrier/ Bryant and most manufacturers buy some products and private label them. I.e. Boilers/electronic air cleaners/HRV's etc.
    I understand. If you buy a York furnace it is made by York. I don't know about the Bryant though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast