+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old walk In Cooler

Post Likes
    Its to late now. Im done on the sytem after I said I couldnt get parts until monday they called a contractor who they thought would stock those parts. Only time will tell I will post back with what they found on the system. Dan

Post Likes
    well thats kind of a BS move on there part if its been warm like that for this long whats another few days.. R they planning on replacing?? DO they know what has been done to this system.. The poor tech that gets stuck out there this weekend is gonan be swearing up a storm when he finds all that stuff.. O well guess u dont have to think about it all weekend anyways LOL.. Let us know what they found tho

Post Likes
    I felt bad for the guy to its a hard one to work on to begin with. Its 8 feet off the gound supported by the building and the back of the building is steep sloped wood chips right up to the wall. This companys been servicing the unit for a long time though it was my first time out to it and my place is to lazy to dig up the records. So if they wanna pay 120/ hour to fix there 4 door soda cooler today(if they do fix it) instead of shuffling 2 crates of milk to another store and some eggs instead of waiting for me on monday for 10/hour thats there call.

See the guy that runs my department bills the gas station division for my work and if they dont like it they will call somone else and Im out of a job. So Im like a contracter within the company. Even though its costing them 10/hour for me to fix it if one end of the company charges on paper 50 an hour but if it takes me longer and it looks more expensive on paper they will call somone else and put the money outside the company cause its cheaper in la la land.

Everyone in the gas station division walks all over me and calls me at all hours of the night cause Im just a resource for them to abuse. And I have to kiss there butt cause there like my customer. The one owner whos always there cant say anything cause she dont own enough of the company this is how the big boss has it set up. And the "regional manager" guy got rid of the biggest company in town cause they werent good enough. Thats why I find all these system leaking and just being recharged cause if the bills to big the "maintenance Supervisor" who couldnt maintain a ant farm decides how long it should take and if it is to big he complains then your gonna be working for free or you lose the job. The guy is just a gas station attendant who stuck around long enough now hes in charge of maintenance. But this summer I always inspect the buildings while im there Ive found massive structural damge from leaks in the roof and gutters. See this is the thing I dont like. Since I should be maintenance I should have the time to fix these systems right. And I find myself just recharging instead of fixing to cause I have to stay competitive and they dont care if it leaks just that its fixed or they will call someone else.

Strange for a company that nets 85 million a year and Im a grunt barely making it at 10/hour. But I still dont complain cause the town is swamped with contractors starving for work and even if this goes bad I can work for other parts of this company that are ran by people who have common sense.

Sorry for wasting your time with my small rant. Dan

Post Likes
    Am I wrong? I thought it is illegal to keep gassing up a unit if it holds over a certain amount of refrigerant, and the leak has to be repaired or unit replaced. I can't remember the numbers it has been so long.

Dangpgt97,
    What happened when you blocked the condenser, and got the head pressure up? Did you recheck superheat, and the subcooling maintainning 100-110 degree condensing temps?

Post Likes
    if its loses a certain percentage of the refrigerant charge anually it needs to be repair.. But at the price of gas how can anyone even think of not repairing a leak???

Post Likes
    dangpgt97 maybe you should remind the bean counters of just how much it will really cost them to just gassing up the system. Nobody has ever said that bean counters were smart. Don't be discouraged by this you just have to figure out how to use this to your advantage. keep the faith!!!

Post Likes
    Sorry I havent been around to check my thread lately been rebuilding my transmission until midnight everyday. The Units that are being repaired are small units such as federal deli coolers and ice cream tubs and other small stuff. My company is dollar stupid and penny smart. They will let a leak go in a roof to save a repair bill and in a couple years spend a million to build a new station. And superheat didnt change nor did suction pressure when I blocked condenser.

And get this the managers get a bonus if they dont spend money on building repairs.

Wow. And the maintenace guy was pissed cause I was an hour out one day when it was 50 degrees outside and his ac didnt work so he called someone else. Filter was plugged. I was shown the bill today. 170 dollars later the unit was fixed 30 minutes earlier instead of paying me 5 to put in a filter. Bill said changed filter, thawed and checked back later.

I will let you guys know what was wrong with this unit when the bill comes through. I cant wait to get it cause I kind of developed a diagnosis on here but didnt get to try it. Thanks, Dan

Post Likes
    By reading your posts, I don't think I could work under these conditions. I would end up fired if I was told how too do my job by someone who does not have a clue cuz I would tell them to #$&! OFF!!! Feel for ya man.

Post Likes
    I have tried to read your posts 3 times to zero in on the problems. And with all these wild a$$ guesses on top of it, your description is spotty and very difficult for me to follow so I could offer the best advice. It could be a multitude of things.

I suggest. Slow down. Go over the basics in your mind. Go over the sequence of operation and then one by one, prove or disprove that part of the operation.

If your going to acheive any level of success at this, your going to realize that the best techs are guys who can do well in situations where the pressure is on them. Sounds like the pressure is on you to perform maybe beyond your capability at this point. That is not a bad thing. We all have had to go through that to learn to deal with presure and still commit to solving the problem.

There is no such thing as bad weather. There is rain, which we then wait till the rain goes, and then there is the rest of the weather. We dress for it. We properly prepare ourselves for it. These things are just as important as your knowledge and ability and skills.

IOW. Quit beinf a flippin wus and figure this unit out. RF now.

Post Likes
    Thanks Great advice. I understand what your saying. I got warm clothes now which will allow me to concentrate better like it was in the summer. This units kinda ancient history now. It was fixed by someone else last monday. But I was there a couple days ago and it still cycles non stop on the off cycle so obviously that wasnt fixed. To bad I dont work maintenance and Im not allowed to work on it until it breaks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dangpgt97 View Post
    Thanks Great advice. I understand what your saying. I got warm clothes now which will allow me to concentrate better like it was in the summer. This units kinda ancient history now. It was fixed by someone else last monday. But I was there a couple days ago and it still cycles non stop on the off cycle so obviously that wasnt fixed. To bad I dont work maintenance and Im not allowed to work on it until it breaks.
    Thats stupid make sure u tell ur boss hes a idiot.. If the unit wont stay pumped down the compressor valves or the llsv are leaking by and its causing unnecessary wear on the unit..And no maintence tell him hes an idiot again for m e..

Post Likes
    Wouldnt you think I should be able to fix everything to my satisfaction? And its not ignorance I educated them on the effects of not maintaining there system. They just say compressors have always been a problem. And if I say something they call there contractor and compare what we say and usually the contractor lies to make me look bad cause there fighting for the work. And to let a machine cycle on the off cycle is rediculous. Not to mention some guy took a hammer to the louvers on the adjacent unit so he didnt have to take the cover off to connect guages. After 15 years last monday it was imperitive to destroy the box. And isnt it customary to shut down a unit when cleaning? I saw one of there favorite contractors cleaning an evap the other day with the fans on. All they did was spray a foam on it and call it clean.

Post Likes
    Its contractors like that,give the rest of the hard working ones a bad name. for them the bad karma will come back around and bite them some day

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in