Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    44

    Confused Brazing without nitrogen again

    The company I work for has been informed by an employee of a contractor that we are using to install a/c units that they are NOT using nitrogen while brazing. The owner assured us that they ARE Is there any tell-tale signs or test we can do to find out for sure?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,793

    a restriction...

    ...may be a clue

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    162
    TXV system, check the TXV screen, you will have black residue in it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,601
    Watch them when they are installing the line set at the condenser and see if they are using a nitrogen tank to purge the line. The only other way would be to perform a forensic autopsy of the line set where the joints are brazed. Cut the line either side of the joint and cut across the joint at a 45 degrees and then inspect and if you have a clean joint or back copper oxide scaling or you can give them a polygraph test.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!
    Posts
    1,096
    Take them to a secret location, beat them to within an inch of their lives then ask them if they are using nitrogen.


    Or, you could look into their service truck for a bottle of nitrogen (orange cylinder) with a regulator on top, if you don't see one they are telling you a fibb.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    phoenix az
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac8 View Post
    Watch them when they are installing the line set at the condenser and see if they are using a nitrogen tank to purge the line. The only other way would be to perform a forensic autopsy of the line set where the joints are brazed. Cut the line either side of the joint and cut across the joint at a 45 degrees and then inspect and if you have a clean joint or back copper oxide scaling or you can give them a polygraph test.

    yep give them a surprise inspection
    "Do not let what you can't do interfere with what you can do"

    "Do what you can do the best that it can be done and no one will ever know what you can't do"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold.calm
    Posts
    5,679
    Quote Originally Posted by AtticAce View Post
    Or, you could look into their service truck for a bottle of nitrogen (orange cylinder) with a regulator on top, if you don't see one they are telling you a fibb.

    Don’t get caught driving around with the regulator on the bottle.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    kalamazoo,mich
    Posts
    2,174
    Quote Originally Posted by AtticAce View Post
    Take them to a secret location, beat them to within an inch of their lives then ask them if they are using nitrogen.


    Or, you could look into their service truck for a bottle of nitrogen (orange cylinder) with a regulator on top, if you don't see one they are telling you a fibb.


    My nitrogen bottle is blue.
    Have you hugged the Earth today?
    Donny Baker rules

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    N.E. Ok.
    Posts
    1,370
    My bottle is black.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!
    Posts
    1,096
    Quote Originally Posted by chucko615 View Post
    My nitrogen bottle is blue.
    Well leave it alone so it can turn back to orange.

    Mine has a label that reads nitrogen, so look for the label.

    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Don’t get caught driving around with the regulator on the bottle.
    In Philly the cops are too busy with all the shootings to worry about regulators on bottles, not to mention they could care less if my truck was loaded with asbestos and waste oil.

    Were alot more laid back in Philly, all the city really wants is fees, and parking ticket money. Last week with a parking placard, ($165 a year) let's you park free all day in most legal spots. I got $210 in parking tickets, or should I say my customers did.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Twilight Zone
    Posts
    2,964
    Quote Originally Posted by AtticAce View Post
    Were alot more laid back in Philly, all the city really wants is fees, and parking ticket money. Last week with a parking placard, ($165 a year) let's you park free all day in most legal spots. I got $210 in parking tickets, or should I say my customers did.
    I am originally from South Philly so I know what you mean. Visiting my folks on Xmas will be fun - trying to find a spot and not getting stuck behind a double parker.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,601
    Don't get your tanks confused though. Acetylene "B" and a nitrogen tank look similar to the untrained eye. The nitrogene tank will have a large label where the nitrogen "B" tank won't have any. If you really want to know the difference go to Pye Barker, Air Gas or another gas company and ask to see a small nitrogen tank and a acetylene "B" tank. The HVAC boys may be using an acetylene "B" tank for brazing the line set. I have both a black and orange nitrogen tank both with labels on them. Good luck.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    448
    Fortunately, the connection to the bottle is different!! <G>

    Quote Originally Posted by glennac8 View Post
    Don't get your tanks confused though. Acetylene "B" and a nitrogen tank look similar to the untrained eye. The nitrogene tank will have a large label where the nitrogen "B" tank won't have any. If you really want to know the difference go to Pye Barker, Air Gas or another gas company and ask to see a small nitrogen tank and a acetylene "B" tank. The HVAC boys may be using an acetylene "B" tank for brazing the line set. I have both a black and orange nitrogen tank both with labels on them. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event