Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

VisionPro IAQ T-stat Version

I replaced my system earlier this year with the following Trane system:

XL16i 3-ton HP 4TWX6036B1000AA
    XV80 100k BTU/hr furnace TUD100R9V3K (2 stage, variable speed)
    TCONT803 tstat
    Outdoor temp sensor
    Aprilaire M-700 Power Humidifier
    Aprilaire 2200 Media Filter

After research on this great site, I've spoken with my contractor about replacing the 803 t-stat with the VisionPro IAQ. Actually, I've been talking to my contractor about this switch since I had the initial install, but he wasn't familiar with the IAQ and it's advantages over the 803 until a recent install.

Previously, I remember reading about some important changes that were included in Version #2 of the IAQ that weren't included in Version #1. Is that correct and what are the differences? How do I insure that I get a Version #2 model?

I don't want to shell out the $$ to replace a perfectly good new 803 T-stat if the IAQ replacement won't provide the extra controls (dual fuel control, dehumidification control, and 2-stage gas furnace control).

Thanks for any help you can provide.

eswells: you want v. 2 of the IAQ for sure. If it's v.2, there will be a samll sideways "2" imprinted after the Model # on the label on the back of the t-stat. The folks here taught me this. I checked the label as soon as the Contractor arrived with the box, to be sure I was getting v.2. Both my Contractor and even the Honeywell distributor had no idea at all about this v.2 issue, they thought I was a bit strange and picky. The folks here know all about v.2. BTW, the IAQ is one sweeeeet t-stat. I'm thrilled with it. Regards and Happy Holidays, mrbee

Ooops, make that a "small" # 2, just finished gutter leaf cleaning in darkness, 30 degrees, windchill 22-ish, can't type real well- hands frozen!!! mrbee

Thanks mrbee.

My contractor will install the new IAQ replacement for me if I want to upgrade, but he's recommending that I consider buying it over the internet because he thinks I can get a better price (although he hasn't surveyed his suppliers for a price yet).

Do you think that I still need to worry about getting an older Version #1 at this point in time? The Version #2 has been available for a year or so it seems. Just wondering if I should worry about this if I go down the path of purchasing the IAQ myself. Or is there some way to discern the Version # other than waiting to see the small 2 after the model # on the back of the t-stat after I open the box?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Only down fall if you get it on line, you may not get any warranty, unless he says he will stand behind it..

I'd say you'll have a higher luck with getting the v2.

I'd have the contractor get it.
    It has a 5 year warranty. If it had a defect, the supply houses in your area don't have to honor the warranty, if its not one they sold.

You have your contractor worried he'll be stuck with a stat if its not a version 2.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

With your system I would not spend the money on the IAQ. The only capabillity that you would see is staging W1 and W2 of the gas furnace. You have a 10 minute interval between them now with your furnace.

Why cripple a high end furnace leaving staging up to a 10 minute timer instead of needs of the house?

Also the IAQ will bring on backup if the pump isn't keeping up allowing a lower changeover point and potential gas savings. The IAQ will do dehumidify on demand as well as handle the humidifier eliminating that control too.

I totally agree with Bald.. Why cripple it??

IAQ not necessary?

Thanks for your thoughts.

From my reading here, I'm just having a hard time with the fact that my T-stat can't fully take advantage of the variable speed 2-stage furnace and dual fuel setup. I'm not sure I really understand the differences for my system and especially how much I would notice any savings/functions. Am I just making things difficult by thinking of replacing the TCONT803 t-stat with the IAQ for my system?

Here's what I understand to be the major advantages of the IAQ over the 803 with my current setup:

1) Better Dual Fuel control -- Currently, I just have one setup option #0350 (Balance Point Temp / Heat Pump Compressor Lockout) on the 803 which controls the when the heat pump is used versus the aux heat (80% 2 stage gas furnace). I live in Northern Virginia and I set this to 30 degrees (this is just a guess on my part). My understanding is that above 30 deg, I use the heat pump exclusively for heating and below 30, I use the gas furnace exclusively.

With the IAQ, my understading is that I would be able to set a temp above which only the gas furnace is locked out, and set a temp below which the heat pump ompressor is locked out. Between these 2 temps, both the heat pump and gas furnace could be used and the t-stat would control which is used based on some logic.

Is the above correct and how much of an advantage is the IAQ for this extra dual fuel control? Could I let the heat pump work down to a lower temp (20 deg?) and depend on the t-stat to determine the switch to gas? Would I notice this in savings or comfort?

2) Staging of the gas furnace. Currently with the 803, the gas furnace will run on stage 1 for a set amount of time (don't know this length of time) and then switch to stage 2 and run until the set point is reached.

With the IAQ, there is more sophisticated control the staging of the gas furnace. I'm not sure about this control. I think my system is likely oversized and my guess is that the 1st stage would probably be sufficient in all but the most extreme days. So in my case, it would be nice to use the 1st stage for long runs if it was able to maintain the desired temp. Will the IAQ let it stay on stage 1 until the set point is met? Does it allow the furnace to start at stage 1, move to stage 2 as necessary, and then move back to stage 1 to maintain temp in one longer cycle? How important is this and would I notice? Especially given our use of the heat pump?

3) Dehumudification on demand. Currently, with the 803, I can only reduce humidity by running the AC to a lower temp.

With the IAQ, the AC will run at a lower fan speed and try to dehumidify to a setting without lowering the temp below my set point. Is that correct? Does that result in lower costs in addition to better comfort?

I was just reading about the advantages of the IAQ just after having my new system installed. My contractor probably would have made the switch for me at the time except for the fact that he wasn't familiar with the IAQ and the Trane rebate I got required a Trane t-stat. So now I'll be paying for the IAQ if I want it installed. Not sure what I will/can do with a few month old TCONT803

Is the above description of advantages correct? Is it worth the $$ for this extra control and savings/comfort or am I just nit-picking a system that's just fine the way it is?

Thanks for your thoughts and help.

The OP lives in the W/DC area : unless they have extra money to spend purchasing the IAQ at this point I doubt that they will see any benifits from it. The winters for the most part are not cold enough to need a fourth stage of heat. The 16I should be able to maintain a comfort level on its own without going to W2.

For the dehumidification subject; with 2 stages in this area the humidity level should stay stable when set up with comfort R. The 803 does do a comand to dehumidify but only at the end of a cooling cycle and for the most part if the system is sized and set up corectly the cooling call will satisfy the dehumidification demand and not be needed.

Both the 803 and the IAQ use the same smart logic (PI algorythm) that uses cooling droop (overcooling with a/c) for the dehumidification process, it does not matter when the comand is given as the unit runs the temperature and the humidity goes down. If a homes humidity rises abnormally then (Teddy Bear) takes over with a hole house dehumidifier and constant air temp

The 16i second stage is wired through B/K so setting up for dehumidification needs to be done through Comfort R and the set up is identical for both stats. The BK jumper on the furnace (W14) must be cut, and ramp profile signal needs to be given to "O" and dip switches 5/6 need to be set.

In certain applications and situations the IAQ is a smart design with the relay pack for central conections, but in my opinion in the OP's situation there is no benifits over what they have now.

Quote Originally Posted by eswells95 View Post

Is it worth the $$ for this extra control and savings/comfort or am I just nit-picking a system that's just fine the way it is?

Thanks for your thoughts and help.

Your system is "just fine" the way it is.

Is it worth the extra $$ to up grade to the IAQ...YES. We will not install a duel fuel system without an IAQ. I changed my VP8000 to the IAQ. Much better comfort and energy savings.

Have your contractor supply and install it. Keeps warranty problems from arising.
    "We'll have to outwit the fiend with our superior intelligence." Yukon Cornelius

Some people are like Slinkies---not good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

Quote Originally Posted by eswells95 View Post
    Previously, I remember reading about some important changes that were included in Version #2 of the IAQ that weren't included in Version #1....
    Among other things, the v2 IAQ firmware has the correct daylight savings changeover dates iirc....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast