Thread: CVHE Starter

Frown CVHE Starter

I have a Trane solid state starter on a CVHE that is about 3-4 years old. The problem is that when the machine comes online it runs fine for about 5-7 minutes and then shuts down on starter fault. The starter is suppose to give a # of blinks to indicate failure code but does not. It is a Cutler Hammer starter and we have talked with both Trane and Cutler Hammer to no avail. I have checked to see if we are losing the 24 volts and we are not. Well not that I can see with my Fluke. I am going by later on today to check with a Simpson to see if I can see anything with this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have had the same problem. What I found was that the molex connector wiring was wired tied to the line voltage wiring in the starter. Re-routed low voltage molex away from the line voltage...no more problem. Give it a shot.

starter problem

have there been any new VFD"s installed for pumps or fans near the starter. they can interfere with the solid state starter and create nuisance unexplained lockouts.

I had 4 chillers setting side by side that starting acting up a year after startup. Came down to construction dust inside of the solid state starter module. Blew them all out and never had the problem again.

Confused

I appreciate everyones input. There have not been any VFD's or wiring changes made, we have kept the starter panels closed and the starter cabinet clean, on the molex wiring, this just started happening and the machine is 4 years old.

CVHE SB 44 is a good read for this style starter. From what your indicating there may be a setting in the controller or a module failure. Hope this helps

I had the same problem with a CVHE of the same age. Cutler Hammer told me that they had experienced some internal component failure inside their solid state modules. I replaced the module and problems went away. If I remember correctly this was a pretty pricey repair too.

according to the CVHESVB04

Status LED is lit but no indication on the CIM:
    1. No communication with the CIM.
    2. Sensor failure.
    3. Bypass opened during the run. Weak 24 vdc power supply.Verify that the 24-vdc power supply output rating is large enough to close the bypass contacts with a minimum output rating of 250 watts for 0.15 seconds.

let us know what you find out.

good luck.
    "If you pull one more stunt like you just pulled with Tommy, you won't have to get on a plane because I will personally kick your ass from here to Korea!" - Best of the Best

Thumbs up

Thanks guys- I am scheduled over there tomorrow and will get back tomorrow night if this works.