Thread: Need help on choosing an HVAC control system

Post Likes

Need help on choosing an HVAC control system

Hi guys,
    Spent countless hours online looking for answers, but still have a few questions. I am remodeling my house and installing new heating and A/C, but I am having a hard time on finding the control system that I want.

I am basically looking for a system that can connect to Home Automation systems and has remote internet monitoring and control.

The Aprilaire system can do almost everything that I need, except that I still need to put separate thermostats in all my zones. I have areas where heat is zoned separately from A/C and I don't want to put thermostats all over the place since everything will be on schedules anyway.

I have 2 floors and each floor has 2 radiant heat and 1 A/C. I want to be able to control each floor with 1 thermostat and not 2.

Are there any control systems that can control multiple zones from ONE thermostat and have home automation connectivity?

Thanks!!

Post Likes
    So, each floor has 2 zones for heat and 1 zone for cool? You want 1 controller to do it all and be able to connect to other stuff in the house, AND be able to connect to it via the internet?? What you need is a DDC system. Be prepared to spend some coin.

Post Likes
    The thing is that the Aprilaire system can do everything except being able to control 2 heat & 1 cool on ONE thermostat. In theory it's not really that big a deal since I would just need two more thermostats (4 total instead of 2), but if there was something else comparable, I would like to check it out.

What's DDC?

Post Likes
    When you say "2 heat", do you mean 2 stages of heat for the same zone, or two completely seperate zones? DDC stands for Direct Digital controls. Primarily used in commercial applications but also used in some high-end homes. What kind of home automation are you planning to have? Lighting, security, lawn sprinklers?

Post Likes

Centurion

http://www.energycontrolsystems.com/sys.htm
    How much control do you want !!

Might be worth a phone call, I have installed many of these in light commercial but mainly dealt with the 2100 series.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by matt8085 View Post
    When you say "2 heat", do you mean 2 stages of heat for the same zone, or two completely seperate zones? DDC stands for Direct Digital controls. Primarily used in commercial applications but also used in some high-end homes. What kind of home automation are you planning to have? Lighting, security, lawn sprinklers?
    2 separate heating zones on each floor so 4 in total.

Exactly, I wanted to automate lighting, security, cameras, HVAC, lawn, and I guess whatever else comes to mind.

Post Likes
    If you want 1 system controlling the whole ball of wax, I would suggest calling a controls contractor in your area. They can set you up with anything you want. It all depends on how much you want to spend, really.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in