+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Clicking for Comfort: HVAC.com Connects HVAC Contractors with Prospective Customers

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    You and I make those considerations - most civilians do not. That is my point - the craiglist internet access to labor and the general internet access to materials (and for the especially motivated: internet access to detailed installation protocol), may well be the growing future for this business. Most especially on the residential side.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    And if for some reason he gets hurt, or the house catches fire and burns to the ground, it's all good? Or he has workman's comp and general liability?
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    what happened to my response?
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I haven't been able to personally get some work done on a house I own. I was idly looking for a boat on craiglist and came across a guy who claimed: experienced in ALL phases of construction. I called, we chatted, I decided to give him a try.

So far his work is timely and impeccable - he sends me pictures at the beginning and end of every day. He charges me $10.00 per hour on site - and apparently picks up all the materials that he wants me to buy on his own time.

So maybe there are HVAC/R guys out there like that too.
    it is comparable to our trade. we automatically are judged as rip offs that over charge for something any idiot can do. a contractor with an ad on craigslist is automatically judged as a hack. it sucks. I will honestly say I am guilty of judging like that too. not all cl liters are hacks just like not every hvacker are hacks. I don't know why we/ I tend to look down at contractors on craigslist, it just happens.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I had a customer/casual friend call me last night (I do work for his company facilities) asking: Would I help him install the two three-head mini split systems he wants to buy on the internet. <g>

In his defense; he will pay me to do the load calcs and the start-up.

Maybe this is The Future? <g>
    certain times it is fine, I think. i won't do it for any new or recent customer but i might do it for a long term customer depending on the situation i guess. i don't get asked often, at least by current customers and hope it continues as so. i just don't want to be put in that position. it can turn bad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in