Thread: Blower operates continuously

Post Likes

Blower operates continuously

I have a Bryant (Model: 396G036075) Gas Furnace. I recently replaced the thermostat with a Rite Temp (Model: GPMG8035C) 7 day programmable thermostat. The furnace blower runs continuously. The furnace still kicks in and warm air emits from the vents until the house reaches the set temperature. However the fan is still running after the furnance acheves the set temperature. It stops blowing warm air and just blows room temperature air thru the house vents. When I first moved into the house there was a manual thermostat installed. I then replaced the manual with a used Rite Temp thermostat that just died. I then just recently purchased a brand new Rite Temp described above. The old Rite Temp thermostat never had this issue. The thermostat fan is set to auto and even if the thermostat is set to off the blower continously runs. Here is what I've tried to fix it:

1) The air filters were dirty so I replaced them with fresh ones.

Powering Furnance OFF steps: turned off the furnace power switch, flipped the furnace breaker to off, set thermostat to off and fan to auto

Powering Furnace ON steps: flipped furnace breaker to on, turn on furnance power switch with the thermostat set to off and fan to auto.

As soon as I power the furnance up the blower starts running and never stops like its supposed to after the house reaches the set temperature.

Do I need to buy another thermostat or is there something faulty on the furnace?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Walk up to the the front of the furnace and literally kick the living chit out of the cabinet. When your friendly neighborhood seasoned expert HVAC repair technician shows up, be sure to let him know that you have already performed the kick test and let him know the results, so he does not have to repeat the test. It may save him some time!!!!!!!!! he will for dang sure get a laugh out of it and want to know who told you to do that. Disclaimer Tsubaki can in no way be held responsible for any denting or other damage caused to a persons furnace housing caused by inexperienced kickers. Practice on your own equipment people.

Post Likes
    I would call it a Technical Tap.

Post Likes
    Ryan did the fan start running constantly immediately following you replacing the t-stat?

Post Likes
    Sounds to me like you have a short at your T-stat. Im ASSUMING this wasnt happening prior to you changing it out. Need to make sure none of the wires are touching one another where they connect up. Otherwise, time to call a pro.

Post Likes
    okieair, yes the fan started running constantly after the t-stat install.

Florida, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, and Califormia
    Post Likes
    I would disagree w/ the G/R short. Most of the time that short would backfeed thru the stat, continuously running the condenser. Sounds like it's time for one of us to see it.
    "Surprised ?! If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised."
    Clark Griswold

Post Likes
    I suppose an easy check would be to disconnect the green stat wire...?

Post Likes
    Sounds like it is a short between R and G most likely. Check the wiring at the t-stat first. If that doesn't do it, place the call.

Post Likes
    i've solved that problem more than once by just replacing the control board in the furnace.

Post Likes

control board

i worked with a guy and all he did was replaced contol boards.

Post Likes

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ryan0320 View Post
    I have a Bryant (Model: 396G036075) Gas Furnace. I recently replaced the thermostat with a Rite Temp (Model: GPMG8035C) 7 day programmable thermostat. The furnace blower runs continuously. The furnace still kicks in and warm air emits from the vents until the house reaches the set temperature. However the fan is still running after the furnance acheves the set temperature. It stops blowing warm air and just blows room temperature air thru the house vents. When I first moved into the house there was a manual thermostat installed. I then replaced the manual with a used Rite Temp thermostat that just died. I then just recently purchased a brand new Rite Temp described above. The old Rite Temp thermostat never had this issue. The thermostat fan is set to auto and even if the thermostat is set to off the blower continously runs. Here is what I've tried to fix it:

1) The air filters were dirty so I replaced them with fresh ones.

Powering Furnance OFF steps: turned off the furnace power switch, flipped the furnace breaker to off, set thermostat to off and fan to auto

Powering Furnace ON steps: flipped furnace breaker to on, turn on furnance power switch with the thermostat set to off and fan to auto.

As soon as I power the furnance up the blower starts running and never stops like its supposed to after the house reaches the set temperature.

Do I need to buy another thermostat or is there something faulty on the furnace?
    I have the same problem! So i am subscribing on this thread!

Post Likes
    Is the "hold" icon flashing on the t-stat? If so reset t-stat by pressing in reset button on thermostat and see if that helps.

Post Likes
    Is this a programmable thermostat?
    I'm don't know that brand of thermostat myself. Alot of programmable thermostats if the fan is set to "on" in the program setting the fan will still run even if changed to "auto" on the user area. Is there any dip swiches or jumper also on that thing? If so are they set correctly?

I like the kick test also myself! LOL

If you call for service make sure you have the paper work on that thermostat, or tell the company what you have. That way they can get any IO information pior to comming out.

Post Likes
    I want to replace the control board. Where can I purchase control boards for a bryant furnace?

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=ryan0320;1686140]I have a Bryant (Model: 396G036075) Gas Furnace. I recently replaced the thermostat with a Rite Temp (Model: GPMG8035C) 7 day programmable thermostat. The furnace blower runs continuously. I then just recently purchased a brand new Rite Temp described above. The old Rite Temp thermostat never had this issue. The thermostat fan is set to auto and even if the thermostat is set to off the blower continously runs.

If you never had this problem until you replaced the thermostat, why are you wanting to replace the control board in the furnace??? Go back and read your own original post, the answer lies there

Post Likes
    Did you set it up for the right style furnace?

If you can't install a thermostat right, what makes you think you won't screw up the circuit board

this is all im saying no DIY
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes...that way you are a mile from them and have their shoes

Post Likes
    You have one choice...call a pro. This is not a DIY site.

>>>Thread Closed<<<

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in