Mineral Deposits in my gas boiler

I recently had some piping work done to my gas boiler system. This required draining and then refilling the system. The result has been introducing new water to the closed system and a new popping sound when the boiler is running. This sound travels throughout the heating system whenever the boiler is heating. My boiler tech says that the sound is mineral deposits in the boiler becoming active when heated. The popping sound is only heard when the boiler is heating (the heating season is upon us). He indicated that draining the system and refilling it would only solve the problem temporarily and the sound would return. The boiler is 17 years old and has a mineral build up that cannot adequately be removed without completely removing the boiler and cleaning out the lower portion below the drain. He is suggesting the addition of one to two gallons of glycol. While this will reduce the heat transfer to some extent, it will also reduce the amount of mineral deposits becoming suspended in the boiler eliminating the “popping” sound. Is this method the best low cost option available to me or are there any other suggestions that I might consider save replacing the boiler?

Fresh water is likely the problem, but it will go away once all the oxygen has been removed and the water is "dead" again.

Never drain and refill boiler...

unless you have to. The air is driven out of boiler water that protects the boiler and components from oxydation. By adding fresh water you will add air and fress minerals.

The only good thing about glycol is that it doesn't freeze. I don't put it in systems unless I know they will freeze.

What kind of boiler do you have?

MA

Confused Carrier/Dunkirk

It is a Carrier/Dunkirk. I can't make out the model. Work was needed to make a true two zone system so we had to drain and add the new water when the work was done. Any idea on how long it will be before the oxygen is depleted from the system? That probably depends on the size of the system and if makeup water is introduced. I wonder what will come first, the elimination of the oxygen reaction or the need of a new boiler!

A few days, in season, if proper air eliminator is in place.

MA

Air Eliminator??

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerBoiler MN View Post
    A few days, in season, if proper air eliminator is in place.

MA
    How do I eliminate the air? My boiler has been running for a few weeks now and I don't here any change.

there are a few other thoughts that come to mind here

was this happening before the work was done or only since it was done
    could be low water presure and the water is boiling in the boiler

also at the same time the circulator may be weak and not pushing the water through fast enough

i also have one doing this once and it turned out to be slow draft through the boiler causeing a hot spot

the system is air bound because the air vents if any arent working or are old and need to be replaced

A picture would help.

MA