Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trane vs Carrier

I'm looking for some opinions and advice

I need a new furnace. I've narrowed down to four different companies, two carry Trane and two carry Carrier. The prices are comprable so that doesn't really factor in. The models are
    Single Stage: Carrier 58DLA or Trane XR80

Two Stage Variable: Carrier 58CVA or Trane XV80

My house is a split level, four different levels, about 2000 sq ft. We have a couple of cold spots in the bedrooms on the top floor. I live in Cleveland OH, so are winter's are pretty cold

Right now I've got a single stage GE that needs to be replaced. I have not compaints with it, so I would be fine with a single stage, but I'm wondering if I should go with the two stage variable. Also, of course, I'm wondering if the preference is Trane or Carrier. So far everything I've seen makes them about equal.

The brand dosn't matter near as mush as a proper installation. Go with the contractor that you feel most comfortable with.

As far as comfort is concerned the two stage variable will give you the best option. If installed properly, with a two stage thermostat, It will run more on low speed and heat your house more evenly. Also running the fan all the time will keep the air circulating in the house and also filter the air more.

Make sure the companies run a manual J as sizing is very improtant.
    Its a good Life!

I like Trane. Go with the two stage variable speed in my opinion.

Both good unless you get Infintiy control. Then Carrier
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

thanks for the replies. I've been reading and have seen Manual J calc's mentioned several times. When should the contractor perform this? I've had salesmen come and visit and give quotes but no calculations. The size of the proposed furnace has ranged from 70,000 - 100,000 BTU depending which contractor.

I would have thought they would have done that on the estimate call. I'd go with the 58CVA and the infinity control. It cant be beat!!
    The first man gets the pearl, All the second gets is the shell

How come new members don't give more info? Like - location of residence- usage of existing system...Don't the contractors ask these important questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Sickora View Post
    thanks for the replies. I've been reading and have seen Manual J calc's mentioned several times. When should the contractor perform this? I've had salesmen come and visit and give quotes but no calculations. The size of the proposed furnace has ranged from 70,000 - 100,000 BTU depending which contractor.
    Be careful. Make sure you know the OUTPUT of the furnaces you are comparing. That's why a Manual J (know what your house needs) is important. Otherwise, it's just a guess (maybe a good one).

AM

A manual J is usually done at the time of the orginal bid for your job. At least the measurements should have been done at this time. If they did this they would have walked your house and measured all rooms, windows, doors and tried to figure out how much insulation you have among other things. This is the best way to size your hvac. There is a huge percentage of furnaces in this country that are way oversized and alot of companies just size off of the old system.

Wanting to get a higher end furnace (2 stage, variable) it is critical that the unit be sized properly.
    Its a good Life!

Both are good furnaces. You really don't need Infinity, just get a thermidistat with the Carrier if you go with that. Price is lower and does the same thing. Infinity is overrated IMO, I've installed a few of them and they are fancier, but do nothing more than a good thermostat with humidity control can do. Trane sometimes gets a little weird 8-10 years down the line with parts sometimes. They all do to a point, but I've had more problems with Trane than Carrier getting parts specific for that brand on occasion. That may just be the distibutorship here.

Sickora

Generally, I don't like 80% AFUE gas furnaces especially for your area/climate. However, if you have reasonable electric rates, you could pair it with a high eff heat pump for a dual fuel system. If not, then upgrade to 93-95% AFUE condensing furnace. Definitely get a furnace with var spd blower.

IMO

I'm not really sure if a 90%+ furnace would pay for itself. My gas bill now is under $100 a month... Is it too late to ask for a manual J measurement now? No one measured a room, window or door.. I did have one guy ask me if there was insulation in the walls, but that is about it.

Again, thanks for the replies.

It is not too late to ask for it and you should not consider buying without it.

Trane, Carrier, Ruud, York, lennox, Goodman,you name it, none will work correctly if sized wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast