Skuttle Model 60

What is everyone's opinion on the Skuttle model 60? My HVAC contractors are recommending either the Aprilaire 400 or the Skuttle model 60. It sounds like the Skuttle may be the way to go since I tend to be really sensitive to dry air and it can call the furnace fan as needed. I was also thinking that while up-front costs would be higher with the Skuttle, the maintenance costs would be less since pads don't need to be replaced. They also mentioned that I would likely have to run the furnace fan constantly (which would probably run up our electric bill) to keep the humidity up with the Aprilaire. Any insight on this?

Thanks!

I personally like the aprilaire 600. my 2 cents

The Skuttle will put out a lot more moisture day than your Aprilaire and it does not depend upon the furnance running to add moisture. It does cost more to run since it boils the water and that takes a lot of electricity. But you can reach higher levels of humidity with it. The running of the fan is not as expensive as the boiling of the water however.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Well that's what is great about this field we have our likes and dislikes with equipment. I do install a model 50 relay, so i can have it run with the fan.

Alright, so I guess the Aprilaire really might be the best bet. I haven't asked specifically, but I wonder why they are proposing the 400 over the 600 which seems to be preferred by almost everyone on this forum? I suppose maybe they get the same result in their experience and it uses less water (water is pricey in this area)? I do have drainage available (furnace condensation and a/c coils drain right behind the furnace in a pipe that leads to my sump pit). Is the 400 really as ineffective as some people seem to make it out to be? I assume that they must be planning to use hot water since they are proposing that I keep the fan running all of the time. They made it sound as if it wouldn't really be a concern to keep the humidity at a reasonable level. I mean, I trust these folks. They have a great reputation and have been around for quite some time, and heating/cooling is all they do. I just find it strange that a lot of people seem to be against the 400. I suppose it never hurts to get as many opinions as possible!

Thanks for the replies!
    Last edited by dk21; 11-29-2007 at 06:58 PM.

I don't know about the maintenance cost being less with the Skuttle mod 60. They build up alot of scale inside of them and require alot more to clean than the Aprilaires do. I would suggest the model F60-1,which has a flushing timer which helps to keep down the scale and debris inside the humidifier by flushing the water out every two hours. But if water is extremely expensive you may not want that option.

The skuttle will use alot more electricity because of the heating element but in my opinion will produce a lot more humidity.

I like the model 600 over the 400 because the water residue is flushed down the drain. The 400 it will sit in the bottom.