Thread: Package unit HP/elec recommendations?

Post Likes

Hmm Package unit HP/elec recommendations?

Hi, I'm new here. Worked in the industry for a few years in the early 1980's, mostly residential, some commercial & industrial (company was a Trane dealer). Recently laid off from my job as an Ind. Maint. Mechanic (last 17 years.)

Anyway, My 30+ year old GE Weathertron 4 ton has given up the ghost for good. I know we always recommended Trane, (Carrier or Lennox if they were not buying from us, lol) back in the 80's.

Price is certainly a concern, being unemployed. I have friends still in the industry that will help with the changeout, but the brands available to me wholesale are of course limited.

I am considering the Goodman GPH15M (410-A) http://tinyurl.com/ypyp7a

and GPH13M (R22). http://tinyurl.com/2cggqt

Not a huge difference in costs, is it time to go with 410 or get 22 while you still can? I have read that Goodman has a better reputation than it use to and quality has improved. If you don't think so, any other all electric package unit brands or models you can recommend? (bearing in mind that even though I'm doing the changeout myself, I can't break the bank on unit cost either)

Thank you in advance for any input, and GREAT Forum here!
    Hal

Post Likes
    The GPH13H is an r22 unit also, but comes in a little cheaper because it is a dedicated horizontal only unit. Goodman has come a long way, I have installed quite a few in the last 3 years (package units: heat pump and gas models) with zero callbacks. Installation quality is a big plus as you know. I have the GPH13H on my house and am very happy with it.
    Last edited by sammy37; 11-29-2007 at 12:06 AM. Reason: needed to add quotation instead of comma

Post Likes
    Since you have colleagues doing the install, I'm assuming they can get more of a selection of wholesale equipment. What do they deal? Can they get anything like Trane, York, Rheem or Lennox? I'd prefer one of these for packaged units. Go with what you can afford. R-410a would be my choice, but R-22 shouldn't be a problem. The GPH13M seems to be a good economical choice if you're going with a Goodman. My advice isn't the best since I'm just a regular member, but some pros should be along to lend you some advice on this matter.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Can they get anything like Trane, York, Rheem or Lennox? I'd much prefer one of these for packaged units. .
    Why would you prefer one of the other brands? What is wrong with him considering Goodman? Some of those other brands in the low price range dont have coil guards, which to me should be standard on any brand. At least Goodman uses that as standard on all their equipment. And the new trane packs to me look like a flimsy p.o.s.! I think Goodmans package units are built just as well or better than most of the competition out there.

Post Likes
    I edited that statement a bit. I would prefer one of those brands over Goodman for my own reasons (I'm not going to get into them because I don't want to start a flame war), but as I said above, Goodman is still a good economical choice. Trane, York, Rheem, and Lennox are reputable for their rooftop equipment. When I go to places, I see a ton of Trane and York on the roof. That says something to me. My advise that I said above stands: go with what you can afford. Goodman is a fine choice if that's what you're limited to.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the responses! Yes I could get the H model for less, but the M model has a closer footprint to my old GE, and would require less masonry patching, or covering the massive old hole...

I might could get a discount on York or Lennox, but still would be quite more expensive than the Goodman. I installed a RUUD/Rheem unit in my old house in the late 1980's and nothing but problems with it from day one. Replaced it with an American Standard unit 6 years later. I sure it was just a fluke/lemon, but It convinced me to not buy another Rheem product again.

Post Likes
    Buy what your help likes and or understands, as they are the ones going to be the working on the thing.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in