+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Microzone II with XP and USB adapter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Microzone II with XP and USB adapter

Hi,

is there a way to communicate with a MZII controller using windows XP and a USB->RS232 or USB->RS485 adapter.

I was using XPSI to access these controllers with PC with integrated serial port.

Now I need a way to access the controllers with my laptop, which has no integrated serial port.

Thanks!

Post Likes

Black Box sp390a-r2

I do this using a black box SP390A-R2 from black box. It is a usb optical isolator for a 485 network 2 wire or 4 wire. XP will configure it automatically for a com port. I have to go into the device manager and set the device to com 2 to work with xpsi. You also have to make sure that nothing else is on comm 2. In psi you need to setup the connection for psi host and the baud rate to 9600 or 19.2. The baud rate will depend on the setup of the microzones so sometimes you just have to try them out to see what works best. There are some switches on the black box that will all need to be in the on position. for the rj-11 connector the RDA- on the box will need to go to pin 4 on a 6 pin RJ-11 and pin and pin 3 on a 4 pin RJ-11. The TBA+ goes to pin 3 on a 6 and 2 on a 4 pin. I will warn you that this does not always work the best especially if your use to an older pc. A lot of the times I have to remove one leg of the ASD trunk on the microzone to connect to it especially if there is a GCM on the network. You can also unhook the GCM from the network and get it to work too. The node list doesn't always work either, but what do you do this technology is from the late 80's and everythign else is light years ahead of it. I hope this helps you and feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Post Likes
    Controltec,
    Are you still using the same "black box SP390A-R2 from black box" to connect to the MZ2's?

Post Likes
    XPSI is very flaky. A lot of USB to RS-232 (it is actually a RS232 to RS485) wont work with XPSI.

The one I use and have had the best luck with is the Sabrent USB.

I find most often the trouble is the RS232 to RS485 adapter, however very old version of XPSI are also difficult to use on post MSDOS. It is doable just usually difficult.

I suggest using a windows xp or older software.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rikenz View Post
    Controltec,
    Are you still using the same "black box SP390A-R2 from black box" to connect to the MZ2's?
    I'm using a B&B model USOPTL4

http://www.bb-elec.com/bb-elec/liter...TL4-3011ds.pdf

have had really good luck with this working on WIN7 with the newest 4.0 XPSI. We also will use this inside a virtual machine running XP without any problems. We like the virtual machines because we can set one machine up and then copy it to all the technicians computers.

Post Likes
    Does XPSI work with XP? I can only get it work on 98 or DOS. Please let me know if there is a trick or something to get it to work?

Post Likes

PSI, XP and 2K

I have had XPSI work with 2K and XP, but not on all brands of laptops. The most compatible Laptop I found for XPSI and 2K or XP was Sagar. I had the most trouble with Dells.

Post Likes

xpsi on dell

I've always used it on dells and never had any trouble. I'm using a Dell Latitude D620 right now and it works great.

Post Likes
    www.direct-io.com will solve the XP serial port issue. I'm not sure about the USB thing.

Post Likes
    How do you setup direct io so it will work with XPSI? Itried adding the port, IRQ, and XPSI to the security but it just sticks when connecting?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by controltec View Post
    I've always used it on dells and never had any trouble. I'm using a Dell Latitude D620 right now and it works great.
    I am using a Dell Latitude D830 and I have a serial port on my laptop. How do I get XPSI to work.

Post Likes
    Thanks guys! I just ordered one and have my MZ2 on the way for some desktop programming before I try to migrate everything into the Niagara world. I used a Smartwaretech program to perform a GCM dump so now I have all the GCM info in Viso files. How do I tell from the dump files if all programming is in the GCM or in the MZ's and MFLO's? Still trying to figure out if I change over the system to a JACE how much programming needs to be done. I would guess that the field controllers would be set up to run stand alone and then only communicate back to the GCM their current status? I really appreciate the help from everyone as I'm really learning Niagara, Signal and XPSI all at the same time!

Post Likes
    The information passing between a MZ2 and GCM will happen through the EMS block. You have a total of 8 AI and 8 DI to be able to pass from the GCM to the MZ. If there is logic in the GCM you can trace it back starting at the EMS block and going back from there. Ususally we see things like set points, schedule, global OA temp, and reset schedules in the GCM and them passed down to the MZ. These ems block also have to be used to pass from one MZ to another. the point would have to go from MZ up to GCM back down to another MZ. In the MZ controller there will also be a EMS block that you can put default parameters in for a communications failure. The MFLO's are pretty much a canned application. You are just using the GCM to pass things like set points and schedule information. Also the GCM becomes the place to read all the information to display on some sort of graphical package. We have done a ton of these integrations with a ASD driver from infocon. it works great. We are for hire if you need some help.

Post Likes
    one more thing.... in the GCM you will see the EMS points for the MZ labeled as AIN1, AIN2....DIN1, DIN2....etc. On the smartware drawings the actual GCM block is the MZ2 and the points like AIN1 are underneath that block. I hope all my rambling makes some sense.

Post Likes
    Thanks controltec, I'm headed to Texas for a week on Wednesday but would like to chat with you on the phone sometime if you're available. I think I would be wise to use your services on this one.

Post Likes
    I hooked up to one today for the first time. Used XPSI 4.1 on an XP Dell laptop.
    Used an USB/RS232 converter plugged into a RS232/RS485 converter. Tied the +,- and ground wires onto the ASD buss on one of the Microzones.
    Setup comm. one in device manager to 9600/8/None/1/xon/xoff.
    In XPSI set up I used comm. one and 19200 baud.
    When you first start in XPSI it will ask you if network is on GCM buss - I answered yes. ("Waiting to join buss" popped up) I was able to connect to all the microzones on that buss.
    I tried using the phone jack but had no luck.
    Note: Driver for USB/RS485 converter was FTDI Ltd. 2.04.06 by WinDDK
    My converter has worked OK so far on Johnson, Trane, and DMS. Did not work on Carrier - was forced to by Service Tool 5.

Post Likes
    Thanks Mark, great info!

Post Likes
    OK, so I'm kicking around the XPSI software, I've connected to the ASD bus and uploaded all of my Microzones. Now I'm trying to connect to the Microflo's on the ASD bus using MFLOII but nothing is coming up on the node list. I am connected to the ASD side of the MN-ASDI Integrator and think I need to be on the Ubus side. Where do I go from here for VAV communication. Also I'm wondering..... if I can't see the MFLO's on the ASD bus how is the Niagara ASD Infocon driver going to see them?

Many Thanks for all the support~

Post Likes
    If you have a MN-ASDI you have micronet VAV controllers and these do not talk on the ASD bus. The MN-ASDI is the integrator that translates between U-bus and ASD to get the information up into the GCM. The only way to connect to these and program these is with the micronet tool. The micronet tool is part of the XPSI v4.0 software. If you have version 4.0 there should be an icon on your desktop for MNETCI.....I think??? You will also need a special cable called a MN-CIM. These are really hard to get and usually if you can get one the price is crazy. I might be able to get you one, but we can discuss that somewhere else besides the forum. The Scheinder/Invensys reps don't like to hear about how to buy their parts from channels that aren't their own. They go to great lengths to lock up the customers and make sure that no one can work on their stuff.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in