Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Carrier The Infinity IdealComfort modulating gas furnace

Read this in an advertisement:

“We utilized a throttling valve on the outlet side of a two-stage gas valve,” explained David Spaeth, product manager of heating products, Carrier. “The flow is regulated to 40-, 65-, and 100-percent rates to accomplish three stages of heat. Our patented technology then monitors the needs of the home as the unit cycles and adjusts its operation accordingly.”

How does the Carrier differ from the York and Rheem modulating furnaces? From what I've read, York has more stages and does all the decision making on the unit board where the Rheem also has more stages but handles the logic at the thermostat.

With three stages is this Carrier significantly better than a two stage Carrier? Is their logic at the system board or the thermostat.

Carrier can be regulated by teh furnace board, or the Infinity control.

York by the furnace board only.

Rheem by the Rheem mod control( t stat), or a 2 stage stat makes it a 3 stage furnace, or a single stage stat makes it a 2 stage furnace.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

With the 40% capacity, you can spend much more time with the furnace on providing quiet, gentle warmth. But I'd only get this furnace with the Infinity control. I don't believe that a board can do a better job deciding how to fire than a thermostat that knows the setpoint and the room temp.

I am having the 60K BTU 58MVC furnace installed today, the price difference was very minimal compared to the 58UVB 2 stage.

If you tried to run one of the furnace board driven units (york or carrier) without a specifically designed tstat, won't the tstat logic conflict with the furnace board logic when determining run/cycle times?

Am I correct in guessing that the Rheem and Carrier are best run with the manufacturers controller and the york is best run off of a single stage stat (even though that seems counter-intuitive)?

Quote Originally Posted by teeoff View Post
    I am having the 60K BTU 58MVC furnace installed today, the price difference was very minimal compared to the 58UVB 2 stage.
    Is there info on the Carrier website? Does Bryant have a 3 stage? I'm close to signing on a 2 stage 90I.

Thanks

Twisterbret

The info is on this site;
    http://www.commercial.carrier.com/wc...l?SMSESSION=NO
    I'm sure Bryant has the same furnace.

T, are you getting the Infinity control? I think having the 40% low fire will really be nice but I'd sure want the stat deciding what's needed not the board.

Yes, I'm getting the whole package;
    58MVC Furnace
    25HNA6 Heat Pump
    Infinity Zoning control with 2 zones
    Infinity controller and Smart Sensor
    HUMCCL Humidifier

The Infinity controller will also tie into our existing Honeywell HRV.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    With the 40% capacity, you can spend much more time with the furnace on providing quiet, gentle warmth. But I'd only get this furnace with the Infinity control. I don't believe that a board can do a better job deciding how to fire than a thermostat that knows the setpoint and the room temp.
    Baldloonie: I read the advertising (link) and it was kind of vague as to how the furnace would 'modulate'. Any guesses?

What would the 'middle' stage be? I just went to the Carrier site and searched for 58MVC. Would you believe, "NOT FOUND".

AM

I believe Carrier is using the term 'modulating' loosely, it is a 3 stage furnace, or 'step modulating' as they call it. On mine, the low stage is 22,000, the middle stage is 37,000, and high stage is 56,000.

The middle stage is 65% which is low on the 2 stage. With the board controlling it, it tries to guess at what fire is needed based on past cycles. The best control is with the Infinity/Evolution stat so the thing does what the house needs.

Quote Originally Posted by twisterbret View Post
    Is there info on the Carrier website? Does Bryant have a 3 stage? I'm close to signing on a 2 stage 90I.

Thanks

Twisterbret
    Here is a link to the Bryant version.
    http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc...cav.060.01.pdf

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast