vent temp versus room temp

I just had a new furnace installed and after 1 1/2 hours the room temp went from 40 to 54 and then seemed to not climb any higher. The air at the vent was hardly any warmer than the room temp so I went to the furnace, put my hand on the plenum and it was barely warm also. I did not have a thermometer with me at the time so I can't give any exact temps. I just thought that the air comming out of the vents should be noticibly warmer. Does this sound normal?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jrd62 View Post
    I just had a new furnace installed and after 1 1/2 hours the room temp went from 40 to 54 and then seemed to not climb any higher. The air at the vent was hardly any warmer than the room temp so I went to the furnace, put my hand on the plenum and it was barely warm also. I did not have a thermometer with me at the time so I can't give any exact temps. I just thought that the air comming out of the vents should be noticibly warmer. Does this sound normal?

Thanks

the air from the vents should be warmer. make sure your thermostat is set correctly (on) lol and give it some time. if the temp wont rise, call back the people who installed it.

Remember that you are heating EVERYTHING, not just air. So the furnace might warm the air quickly but as the air heats up, everything in the house draws that heat away. Walls, ceiling, flooring, all furniture. So that could explain the quick rush to 54 then the temp not seeming to rise. All these colder surfaces are drawing the heat from the air as fast as the furnace warms it. Give it plenty more time.

Give the furnace (reasonable) time to get up to temp, than watch your cycles per hour. If its not cycling, or cycling too much, call them back. (I think 3-5 cph is reasonable) My personal opinion is somethings not right-you'll know in an hour. Make sure your t-stats not set low with the blower set to run continually.

If the plenum or air is no warmer than the room temperature and it's "on" then yes something is wrong.