Payne and Goodman heat pumps

I know others have done brand a versus brand b questions..... but here is another

If it came down to either a payne heat pump or a goodman what would you go with and why? Both R22. Goodman a few hundred more.

Thanks guys. I appreciate your expertise!

Payne vs Goodman heat pump

Today, I would choose the Goodman. It is now better built than the Payne. Goodman models usually have better warranty. Look at both units in person; you will see what I mean. There are probably more Goodman heat pumps sold than any other individual brand name out there! Just telling it like I see it; I use to sell quite a bit of Payne.
    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.

I have a Goodman GSH14 heat pump. I went with the 14 SEER over the 13 SEER because the 14 SEER uses a Copeland scroll compressor. The heating and cooling btus were also better for the 14 SEER. The 14 provides 12 EER and 9 HSPF - much better than the 13 SEER Goodman. I went with the fixed speed fan in the air handler, model#ARUF.

Note 2 things about Goodman:

1. Get the optional TXV. All Goodman's are ARI rated with a TXV and not the flowrater expansion device that comes with the air handler. This will be the best $55 that you will spend.

2 The filter rack in the air handler for the 1" filter is poorly designed. I have to literally rip out the old filter when I change filters. Get a separate 4" media housing and avoid this problem.

Best to you.

Hmmmmm, which would I like?

or

I don't like recips in heat pumps so would want a Goodman with a scroll, which as far as I know is the larger 13s and all 14s.

HATHAWAY

Neither are my favorite brands.

However, if it's one or the other, here is my approach.

1.check warranty between the two brands/models.
    2.check the efficiency rating both SEER and HSPF between the two brands.
    3.check the BTUs produced both cooling and heating side between the two brands.
    4.check the decibel rating between the two brands

Baldloonie's advice on the scroll should be considered.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    HATHAWAY

Neither are my favorite brands.

However, if it's one or the other, here is my approach.

1.check warranty between the two brands/models.
    2.check the efficiency rating both SEER and HSPF between the two brands.
    3.check the BTUs produced both cooling and heating side between the two brands.
    4.check the decibel rating between the two brands

Baldloonie's advice on the scroll should be considered.

Good Luck!
    If features and benefits are equal, all brands are about the same. If you have special needs such as the outdoor unit will be under a bedroom window, go with a unit that has a lower sound rating. Otherwise; if the specifications are the same, there is not much that can be too different between any two brands.

Many times the difference in cost of comparable brands is the buying power of the contractor. If you trust your contracto, go with what he/she recommends. If this is a DIY job, go with the Payne
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Who said Payne uses reciprocal compressors? My PH10 uses a scroll; I'm not sure about the PH13s.

If this is a DIY job, go with the Payne
    Why? It'd be easier to find a Goodman for a DIY job.

I have a PH13. The unit comes w/ a copeland scroll compressor, txv. Im very happy with the unit. I just recently installed the system, and I tell you what, a night and day difference between the old and new system. These units blow very cold.

Quote Originally Posted by johnzo1995 View Post
    I have a PH13. The unit comes w/ a copeland scroll compressor, txv. Im very happy with the unit. I just recently installed the system, and I tell you what, a night and day difference between the old and new system. These units blow very cold.

I called a distributor for payne and he e mailed me this pdf file with the payne specs. Below is the file through yousendit.com

http://download.yousendit.com/E08CBE706604D71F

It looks like they all have scroll compressors.

Since the Payne is cheaper I may go with it... but then Goodman's warranty sounds good too.

All opinions are being considered and are appreciated. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Bhathaway; 11-28-2007 at 10:38 AM. Reason: for spelling

Payne is "Made in Mexico"

Goodman comes chock full of Chinese parts, even the box that says "Made in the USA" looks like it comes from China

flip a coin

I've had better luck with parts made in china than crap imported from from mexico!

Make sure you get an extended labor warranty to match the length of the parts warranty....whichever way you decide.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.