Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Confused Moisture trapped in control panel?

    I just had my gas pack installed the day when it was raining really hard. The installers kept on working until dark and finally he had my gas furnace going. During the installation, his partner used an umbrella while he had the control panel door wide open working on the electrical wiring (no power, of course) and gas connections. I could see rain water dripping in and around the control area. My concern is whether moisture could be trapped in the unit, especially in the control side. Could the interior be warm enough to cook any moisture trapped in there? Should I call them back to do an inspection? The unit is an American Standard gas/electric a/c furnace. Also, with the cooler weather, how do you check if the a/c is working right?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    2,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
    I just had my gas pack installed the day when it was raining really hard. The installers kept on working until dark and finally he had my gas furnace going. During the installation, his partner used an umbrella while he had the control panel door wide open working on the electrical wiring (no power, of course) and gas connections. I could see rain water dripping in and around the control area. My concern is whether moisture could be trapped in the unit, especially in the control side. Could the interior be warm enough to cook any moisture trapped in there? Should I call them back to do an inspection? The unit is an American Standard gas/electric a/c furnace. Also, with the cooler weather, how do you check if the a/c is working right?
    The water will dry up, the control panel is not air tight, it will drain out. In cold weather you wait til its warm again to check the a/c
    You can't fix stupid

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    DC Metro Area (MD)
    Posts
    3,369
    I guess you could always "trick" the condensing unit and build the pressure up by covering the fan. That's what a tech did to my unit previously to run the A/C when it was cold out. He said it was easier to charge the system in cooling mode. This may not be a good way to do it, though; it's probably best to wait until it gets warm out.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    2,677
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    I guess you could always "trick" the condensing unit and build the pressure up by covering the fan. That's what a tech did to my unit previously to run the A/C when it was cold out. He said it was easier to charge the system in cooling mode. This may not be a good way to do it, though; it's probably best to wait until it gets warm out.
    that is a bad way to charge a system, never going to get a proper reading. May get you close in a pinch but a package unit should be good to go and not need adjusting of the pressures, just have to check it ijn the spring before cooling season. Aren't you having issues with your heatpump now? Could be the reason right there?
    You can't fix stupid

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    DC Metro Area (MD)
    Posts
    3,369
    I was just thinking the same thing. I think it may have leaked again, though. It was working fine when the tech left and quickly got worse it seems. Right now the system blows out relatively cool air but still manages to maintain 70 by running constantly. The tech said he used superheat (or subcooling? I'm not sure) to charge it. Would you have instead charged it in heating mode?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    2,677
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    I was just thinking the same thing. I think it may have leaked again, though. It was working fine when the tech left and quickly got worse it seems. Right now the system blows out relatively cool air but still manages to maintain 70 by running constantly. The tech said he used superheat (or subcooling? I'm not sure) to charge it. Would you have instead charged it in heating mode?
    the only way I trust charging a unit below 65 degrees is weighing in a completely new charge, but some manufacturers I think have a charging method for heating mode.
    You can't fix stupid

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event