Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by cashless View Post
    What is it about XL16i and honeywell panel that's a problem?
    No problem, the "not approved for zoning" comment someone made was for the XL16i with Trane's zone control system.
    Trane's system controls the variable speed blower directly, and uses modulating dampers to manage airflow without the use of a bypass duct, or dump zones.
    It was developed for use with single stage systems and the XL19i 2 stage system that uses 50% airflow for 1st stage, and is not set up to handle the 1st stage airflow requirements of the XL16i.
    It would be nice if they would update their zone system to handle the XL16i, it really is a great zone system.
    I suspect that department may be more focused on the controls for the system that will be replacing the XL19i, just a suspicion though.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Smile slugging

Thanks for all your replies.

My control system and dampers are honeywell.

I tried leaving the fan on and it seems to help. At least it's not growling like it did before, when it powers up.

Smile

Thanks for all your replies.

My control system and dampers are honeywell.

I tried leaving the fan on and it seems to help. At least it's not growling like it did before, when it powers up.
    Make sure your equipment is installed per its application limits, maximum vertical seperation of 25 feet, maximum linear length of 80 feet and correct line size for the tonage.

Have your dealer install a sump heater on the compressor unless you have the 5 ton.

From your description it sounds like during long off cycle the compressor is getting refrigerant migration.

reply to second opinion

Vertical and horizontal distances are o.k. I agree it may be the refrigerant migration. This would seem to be more likely in cold weather. Never heard of the sump pump solution. Tell me more.

Thanks

Vertical and horizontal distances are o.k. I agree it may be the refrigerant migration. This would seem to be more likely in cold weather. Never heard of the sump pump solution. Tell me more.

Thanks
    It is a sump heater or crankcase heater. It attaches to the compressor and keeps it warm during the off cycle to prevent liquid migration. It comes from the factory on the 5 ton.

If you have narrowed the noise down to long off period / start-up leave unit completely off before tech arives. Have tech attach gauges, record ambient temp, indoor coil temp, static pressure of refrigerant, then start unit and see if refrigerant pressures and noise change simultainiously. Record static voltage and monitor it for voltage drop at start up during the noise period, and then pressures and temp with all zones open.

If you can post that info we can give you a better idea of what your system is doing. There are a lot of issues that can cause noise at start up. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post

Have your dealer install a sump heater on the compressor unless you have the 5 ton.

From your description it sounds like during long off cycle the compressor is getting refrigerant migration.
    Thats what I was thinking, also is there a thermal blanket wrapped around the compressor? As for the compressor running backwards, this is a trick carrier has been using with there bristol compressors. I think it is the bristol, anyways they have a special start capacitor at about 450uf that will startup the compressor in reverse, in effect dropping compressor output by about 15 percent for first stage heat. it will then offcycle for about a minute and open a bypass port in the compressor , equalize preassures and startup in forward for 2nd stage heat. The noise is problably a combination of 2 things, liquid migration and overcharge. Probably sounds like a couple marbles rattling around in the can?

All sizes of the XL16i heat pump come with a crankcase(sump) heater and sound blanket factory installed.

It should be checked to make sure it is actually working though.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Contractor indicated there was a blanket. Didn't say anything about the crankcase heater. This is a two ton unit (about 1500 ft2 area). Cooled fine in heavy heat this summer.

It actually sounds like a loud air compressor when it runs backwards, if that's what it is doing.

I appreciate your interest and suggestions

Did he check the pressures during the noise period? This will tell you what it is doing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12