Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    one problem, many questions.
    1. is the unit above the lid? if so is it level? have you verified it's not condensate from the evap. pan?
    2. what is the air velocity thru the unit? is it too high and drawing the moisture off the coil? have you done a delta P across the fan to get CFM yet?
    what is your air side delta T?
    3. is the duct in question properly insulated? if hot air contacts the duct moisture 'may' form. the first process of cooling is dehumidification= that moisture will go somewhere.
    Just some random thoughts...I'm not an expert,but I did stay at a holiday in last night.

UG

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Agu View Post

This summer it happened again so I'm trying to figure out why after 24 years the ducts started sweating ? Then the light bulb went on. I had closed three out of six ducts on that side of the house to force more cold air into the master bedroom (The Mrs likes it REALLY cold when she's sleeping).

I suspect that closing the vents caused that duct to chill down so much it started sweating. Is this a possible scenario or do I need to look into other causes ?

Thanks for your time,
    Did you open the vent back up yet?

Thanks to everybody for the input. Sorry not to reply sooner but we had houseguests for the last week.

The ducts are open but there's no way at this point for me to determine if that was the cause of the problem so my plan is..

1) Call a pro to have the actual ductwork checked for leaks. If the ductwork is OK ...

2) Have the ducts tested for static pressure and have the blower checked that it's set appropriatelly for the duct work. If that's not going to work..

3) Look into having an additional run put into the far bedroom and....

4) Get the compromised insulation removed and replaced (Including a vapor barrier)

Does that sound like a good plan ?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, the air handler is in the garage so it's not a plugged drain or leaking pan causing the problem.

Hmm

your better off getting a good contractor to resize your ducts but you can download a 1 time version of hvac-calc online to try it yourself. But I would still recommend the contrator
    tim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12