Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Compatibility of Heat pump R22 with CBX27UH (R410) lennox air handler

Hi all,

My heat pump uses R22 refrigerant. It is currently connected to a KEEPRITE electrical furnace which needs to be replaced.

A technician from a LENNOX dealer will install a CBX27UH air handler (not a CB27UH) to replace the KEEPRITE. As you know, there are two models available: CBX27HU for R410 refrigerant and CB27UH for R22 refrigerant. The technicain told me that to make my R22 heat pump compatible with the R410 CBX27UH air handler, he will simplly install a valve, it will be ok.

My question is: Is the CBX27UH model (R410) really compatible with my R22 heat pump? Why does not he install a CB27UH for me, that way we are sure there is no problem for compatibility?

Thanks.
    Last edited by WinterQC; 11-26-2007 at 01:19 PM. Reason: corrections

Talking

"Why does not he install a CB27UH for me, that way we are sure there is no problem for compatibility?"
    You need to be asking your tech that question!

How old is the condensing unit? You should consider replacing all the equipment if it is an old system. If you dont replace it all I would make sure that the indoor equipment will be compatible with a 13 SEER condensing unit when it takes a dump

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by FSHnFRK View Post
    "Why does not he install a CB27UH for me, that way we are sure there is no problem for compatibility?"
    You need to be asking your tech that question!

How old is the condensing unit? You should consider replacing all the equipment if it is an old system. If you dont replace it all I would make sure that the indoor equipment will be compatible with a 13 SEER condensing unit when it takes a dump

Good Luck
    Thanks.

My heat pump KENMORE is 9 years old. It works fine.

I decided to replace the furnace (KEEPRITE, 14 years old) beacause the electric elements (15KW) burn 3 winters in a row.

as long as he changes the valve you will be fine. the r22 blower coil may have been out of stock so rather than wait for it he took the one that they had.......

blowers and coils are the same only difference is the valve.

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    as long as he changes the valve you will be fine. the r22 blower coil may have been out of stock so rather than wait for it he took the one that they had.......

blowers and coils are the same only difference is the valve.
    Thanks.

I am happy to hear this confirmation. The advantage I can see for installing CBX27 instead of CB27 is that if my heat pump breaks in the future I can buy a R410 heat pump which is automatically compatible with CBX27UH.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterQC View Post
    Thanks.

I am happy to hear this confirmation. The advantage I can see for installing CBX27 instead of CB27 is that if my heat pump breaks in the future I can buy a R410 heat pump which is automatically compatible with CBX27UH.

Regards.
    like i said units are identical except for txv, it would be no harder to conver r-22 model over to r-410 than it would be to convert yours back.

like i said units are identical except for txv, it would be no harder to conver r-22 model over to r-410 than it would be to convert yours back.
    Thanks.

What i mean is that next time when I install a new heat pump (R410) I just take away the TXV then they can work seamlesslly together (new heat pump and CBX27).

If I buy a CB27 this time, when I install a new heat pump (R410) in the future, I need to buy a valve.

(I know almost nothing about this subjet).

In the future if you change the condensing unit to a 410 unit than you will have to replace the TXV again. Keep in mind that when you end up changing the condensing unit it will be at least a 13 SEER unit. Will the coil he is putting in be compatible with a 13 SEER??? That is why in my previous post I asked how old the outdoor unit is and you may want to think about changing it out at the same time with matching equipment.
    Have a great day!

In the future if you change the condensing unit to a 410 unit than you will have to replace the TXV again. Keep in mind that when you end up changing the condensing unit it will be at least a 13 SEER unit. Will the coil he is putting in be compatible with a 13 SEER??? That is why in my previous post I asked how old the outdoor unit is and you may want to think about changing it out at the same time with matching equipment.
    Have a great day!

cb27 coils match up to every unit made by lennox. will not be a problem down the road if you want to replace the outdoor unit.

It is my understanding that it's a bad idea to mismatch brands both for performance and reliability when you are dealing with heat pumps... You may want to have your contractor ensure you it isn't a problem (mismatched coils). It's not uncommon practice, but you have to be careful with warranties as well.

Have a great day!
    My outdoor heat pump is 9 years old (Kenmore). I have no idea about 13 SEER for the unit. With this age, do you think it is compatible with a 13 SEER ? Thank you very much.

HEAT PUMP:
    Model: ch9530VKC1
    Serial: L991923619
    Compressor : HP = ?; PH = 1; FLA = ?; RLA = 13.5; LRA = 2.3;
    R22

cb27 coils match up to every unit made by lennox. will not be a problem down the road if you want to replace the outdoor unit.
    Thanks.

In the future, if I change the outdoor unit, I will definitely choose LENNOX.

But for this time, do you think if there are problems if we connect my KENMORE heat pump (R22, 9 years old) with the CBX27 indoor unit ?

I appreciate the replies posted by all of you to answer my questions.

Regards.

That's a "12 SEER" outdoor unit so with the new TXV air handler you'll be in the 12 range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast