aprilair 600 humidifier

Will I lose any performance if I install a aprilair 600 humidifier on the return air side instead of the furnace. Will hooking it up to hot water make it any better? Thanks for any help jim

No and no instead of hot water I would recommend to install a water filter before feeding the humidifier to remove hardness.
    What's another word for Thesaurus?
    - Steven Wright

Doesn't matter if the Humidifier is on the return or supply side, it will work either way. Safer if its on the return.
    Hot water will improve its performance.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I install all of mine on the return air and hook up to the hot water side. good humidifier

OK---I have an April air on my furnace and don't use it--why-----It uses so much water and I'm tired of dumping it down the drain. I will go back to the old room humidifiers ----at least the water you dump in them is totally dissipated back into the house. My 2 cents!!

Quote Originally Posted by dairyman View Post
    OK---I have an April air on my furnace and don't use it--why-----It uses so much water and I'm tired of dumping it down the drain. I will go back to the old room humidifiers ----at least the water you dump in them is totally dissipated back into the house. My 2 cents!!
    aprilaire 600 uses alot of water, why. because it minimizes scale buildup by flushing scale down the drain. if you want a humidifier that doesn't use excess water then use an aprilaire 400. works like your portable humidifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu1 View Post
    No and no instead of hot water I would recommend to install a water filter before feeding the humidifier to remove hardness.
    no water filter is needed on 600. hot water increases capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by superfittertech View Post
    aprilaire 600 uses alot of water, why. because it minimizes scale buildup by flushing scale down the drain. if you want a humidifier that doesn't use excess water then use an aprilaire 400. works like your portable humidifier.
    What do you consider "a lot"? Is there some sort of 'amount per hour' they are supposed to use?

The Aprilaire 600 flows a constant 3 Gallons per hour whenever it's running (calling for humidity). It's the nature of the beast.

How much does the AA 400 use?

Only what it is able to evaporate. A max of 17 Gallons a Day.

April Aire model 600

I am currently going through training sessions through april aire. The deal on ALL april aire humidifyers which are most commonly 760, 700, or any of the feeder tube style powered humidifers, several model numbers have been attached..as well as the april aire 600 and 560 need to have an orafice replaced every year. This is a small water current regulation device found inside the feeder tube next to the solanoid valve. There are two sizes available by color coding; Yellow, white, red and Blue. The Yellow is more restrictive and technically for an 600. I use blues mostly for both. The whites and reds I hve never seen on any residential unit, perhaps commercial, just plain unsure of where they fit into it. Blues and Yellows are all I have needed.
    An Easy way to prove this to your customer is detaching the drain line, running the himidifyer for a few minutes with heat on (I like 3 min beacuse deviding the gallon ratio will make it into something a standard bottle can hold), then repeating the procedure with the feeder tube assembly.

to get the feeder tubes to feed water and trick the sensor on powered models a trick is to remove the top feedneck and horshoe the feeder tube back through the opening. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL OR DON'T ATTEMPT this with older feed tubes. April Aire changed the plastic for a reason; they crack.

I recommend customers to buy a new feeder tube assembly wich comes with a orafice included for the same price virtually, wich saves me hassles if I have to go back and twist it all around later on.

The hot vs. cold tap argument is cut and dry in my opinion.. I have seen more clogged solanoid vales and leaking saddle vales (and strangely circut boards..dunno why on that though...) on units tapped with hot water. That being said, for heat pumps bypass 600 units are recommended to have a hot tap on return side to utilize the system to absorb more latent heat.

Hope this helps. If not, call april aire yourself1 800 334 6011...They have a contractor option that gives u somebody that is like an onstar for their garbage