EAC vs Media filter and HUM advice

Moved from other forum in search of more feedback. Thanks!

I'm about to install new bryant evolution system. Trying to decide whether to "upgrade" to the Elec Air Cleaner, model EACAAXBB020. Price seems reasonable, but I keep getting conflicting info about ozone, decreasing efficiency, maintenance, etc. Do I want this unit, or should I stick with the 4" media filter and EZ flex cabinet. Asked contractor about AprilAir 2200. Indicated that he would/could install, but he got much better pricing on Bryant product.

Incase it it makes a difference, in the house, we have moderate allergies, 3 small children and a dog.

If I do get the EAC and decide I dont like it for whatever reason, can I just insert the 4" media filter into the housing and be just as good as the EZ flex cabinet? Seems like this would be cheaper option than upgrading in the future.

Similar question for HUM. Contractor offering HUMBBLBP2217, bypass humidifier. Reading in this forum about the Truesteam coming in the very near future. Should I wait ?

Thanks in advance for any info.

I had the evolution installed earlier this year and went with the AprilAire 5000 connected to the EAC connector on the furnace and went with the AprilAire 700 series humidifier. Both highly rated units and you can buy the filters and pads at a lot of places.

Moveover, Please explain what you mean by "AprilAire 5000 connected to the EAC connector"

I get the sense from this board that the AprilAire products are highly rated. Do they perform enough better to justify a higher upfront cost?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malew View Post
    Moveover, Please explain what you mean by "AprilAire 5000 connected to the EAC connector"

I get the sense from this board that the AprilAire products are highly rated. Do they perform enough better to justify a higher upfront cost?

Thanks!
    By connecting the 5000 to the EAC hookup the electronic part is controlled by the Evolution controller. So it only operates when the fan is running. otherwise is might be always on and as a result create too much Ozone.

I say stick with a MERV 8 media filter and forget about EAC's. They require constant cleaning to be effective and consume energy. In all the hospital surgery suites and "clean rooms" I've serviced, I have never seen an EAC. They all use HEPA media filters. It's over-kill in a home.