Trane XL16i Heat Pump and 803 Thermostat

I just had a Trane XL16i heat pump installed with the 803 thermostat.
    This is the 2 stage heat pump. How will I know when the compressor is running in the 1st stage in heat? My thermostat just shows heat on. Is something not wired correctly to show what stage the heat pump is in?
    Thanks

I have the same HP and tstate that you have with the XV90 gas furnace. My tstat doesn't show which stage the heat pump is running, nor the fan speed, nor the furnace stage if the furnace happens to be running. I wish it did (not a complaint by me- just wishful thinking). I think Honeywell's version of that tstat that hasn't been dumbed down by Trane tells some of this info and even allows you better control as to when each stage (HP or furnance comes on and for how long) and fan speed control.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by wscsteve View Post
    I just had a Trane XL16i heat pump installed with the 803 thermostat.
    This is the 2 stage heat pump. How will I know when the compressor is running in the 1st stage in heat? My thermostat just shows heat on. Is something not wired correctly to show what stage the heat pump is in?
    Thanks
    The thermostat does not show which stage of heat or cool is being used.

If wired properly you should be able to hear the difference between 1st an 2nd stage.

The 803 and the Honeywell TH8321U are identical except for no selection of O/B for reversing valve and U/V light timer on the 803.

Both Tstats are smart stats and calculate a P/I algorithm based on previous run time, and set back temperature.