Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leak

10 pounds is a lot. I would have definitely gone after the leak. Do you have a maintenance policy on this system an how long ago had it been serviced

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Not serviced in maybe 5 years. No maintenance policy.

Proper preparation prevents piss poor performance. The 5 P's

10 pounds? That's a lot. What's the make and model?

It's improbable you'd lose that much refrigerant overnight, but not impossible. You could've been a victim of huffers or thieves, or one of your Schrader cores could've decided to let go. Do you have caps tight and snug on all of your service ports? Was someone in the attic moving something around and possibly bumped into the lineset?

Then again, this could be a matter of perception. It's not easy for the homeowner to detect that their system is losing on refrigerant until it hits a critical point where absolutely no cold air is blowing out of the registers. I see this all the time. I always ask clients how their system is working and they say it's fine, until I take out my thermometers and gauges and discover their system is low by a handful of pounds. Heck, on one of my PMs a client thought his A/C wasn't blowing as cold as it was before. It turned out his electric heater kit was running simultaneously with his A/C, and in fact the air coming out of the registers was hotter than what was going in.

With that said, 10 pounds is a lot and you're right to be suspicious. If the technician is indeed legitimate in his findings, yes, you do need a leak search.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Rowan View Post
    Proper preparation prevents piss poor performance. The 5 P's

Looks like 6 p's

Quote Originally Posted by Danielandersen2 View Post
    You could ask to see his refrigerant log... Should keep one according to EPA

Sent directly from my thoughts using tinfoil antennas and a stainless steel mixing bowl helmet.
    What refrigerant log?

None required that i know!

From the EPA website:

Major Recordkeeping Requirements

Technicians
    servicing appliances that contain 50 or more pounds of refrigerant must provide the owner with an invoice that indicates the amount of refrigerant added to the appliance. Technicians must also keep a copy of their proof of certification at their place of business.
    Owners or Operators
    of appliances that contain 50 or more pounds of refrigerant must keep servicing records documenting the date and type of service, as well as the quantity of refrigerant added.
    Wholesalers
    who sell CFC and HCFC refrigerants must retain invoices that indicate the name of the purchaser, the date of sale, and the quantity of refrigerant purchased.
    Reclaimers
    must maintain records of the names and addresses of persons sending them material for reclamation and the quantity of material sent to them for reclamation. This information must be maintained on a transactional basis. Within 30 days of the end of the calendar year, reclaimers must report to EPA the total quantity of material sent to them that year for reclamation, the mass of refrigerant reclaimed that year, and the mass of waste products generated that year.

Does not apply much at the residential retail level.

It depends on the local regs, some localities require log books for residential... Austin tx is one that know of, but I'm sure all of California is the same way.

Sent from my van

That is right. The EPA regs are the minimum, states and municipalities can enact stricter rules if they choose.

Quote Originally Posted by rc811002 View Post
    That is right. The EPA regs are the minimum, states and municipalities can enact stricter rules if they choose.
    X-2

In response to CircusEnvy, make is Carrier and I just checked on the side of the condensers unit and saw the model 38BRC036320. It also states factory charged R-22 6.5 LBS. I have two units, one for the upstairs and one for downstairs. I did ask for the level to be checked on the other unit (which was working fine) so I'm wondering if he topped this one up too? Thing is, I'm not starting to question honesty but since I'm not an expert, I'm looking the professionals to set me straight. Here's what I know:

There was some refrigerant still in the unit that was not working. I saw this when he showed me the gauge albeit very low. Even if I assume it was empty; the most he could have charged in 6.5 LBS based on the label on the compressor. Is that a fair assumption?

Now assuming the other 3.5 LBS went into the second unit, would that assume this one is leaking too even though it is working fine?

Both compressors are accessible to anyone who might want to steal I guess and wasn't aware this type of stuff happens but given the cost to recharge I guess it does happen.

If it was a large leak, I'm guessing I will know soon but is it feasible to have a leak whereby the level drops to a point where it stops blowing cold literally overnight? Also, how much further leakage is considered acceptable expense to the homeowner as part of the efforts to find the leak? Lastly, how long should the tech wait to come back and verify the dye, 1 day a week 2 weeks?

Sorry for all the questions

Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post
    10 pounds? That's a lot. What's the make and model?

It's improbable you'd lose that much refrigerant overnight, but not impossible. You could've been a victim of huffers or thieves, or one of your Schrader cores could've decided to let go. Do you have caps tight and snug on all of your service ports? Was someone in the attic moving something around and possibly bumped into the lineset?

Then again, this could be a matter of perception. It's not easy for the homeowner to detect that their system is losing on refrigerant until it hits a critical point where absolutely no cold air is blowing out of the registers. I see this all the time. I always ask clients how their system is working and they say it's fine, until I take out my thermometers and gauges and discover their system is low by a handful of pounds. Heck, on one of my PMs a client thought his A/C wasn't blowing as cold as it was before. It turned out his electric heater kit was running simultaneously with his A/C, and in fact the air coming out of the registers was hotter than what was going in.

With that said, 10 pounds is a lot and you're right to be suspicious. If the technician is indeed legitimate in his findings, yes, you do need a leak search.
    In response to CircusEnvy, make is Carrier and I just checked on the side of the condensers unit and saw the model 38BRC036320. It also states factory charged R-22 6.5 LBS. I have two units, one for the upstairs and one for downstairs. I did ask for the level to be checked on the other unit (which was working fine) so I'm wondering if he topped this one up too? Thing is, I'm not starting to question honesty but since I'm not an expert, I'm looking the professionals to set me straight. Here's what I know:

There was some refrigerant still in the unit that was not working. I saw this when he showed me the gauge albeit very low. Even if I assume it was empty; the most he could have charged in 6.5 LBS based on the label on the compressor. Is that a fair assumption?

Now assuming the other 3.5 LBS went into the second unit, would that assume this one is leaking too even though it is working fine?

Both compressors are accessible to anyone who might want to steal I guess and wasn't aware this type of stuff happens but given the cost to recharge I guess it does happen.

If it was a large leak, I'm guessing I will know soon but is it feasible to have a leak whereby the level drops to a point where it stops blowing cold literally overnight? Also, how much further leakage is considered acceptable expense to the homeowner as part of the efforts to find the leak? Lastly, how long should the tech wait to come back and verify the dye, 1 day a week 2 weeks?

Sorry for all the questions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12