Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tool for cleaning gas furnace orifices

Does anyone ever find the need to have to clean a gas furnace orifice? This tool claims that it eliminates the need to replace an orifice. http://www.hvactool.com/catalog.php3...&fsearch=pilot

Talking

I believe Austin Powers had one! I could not tell you how effective it is.

Ive always used pilot broaches for pilot orifices and orifice drills for burner orifices and burner openings on cast iron burners....

The kitchen sink also works well for cleaning pilot orfices, especially if you can't get the orfice out of the hood, run it under hot water blow it out, 99% of the time it cleans it out well, broaches tend to ream out the hole too much on LP pilots
    You can't fix stupid

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    i use an A & F orifice sizing drill kit for main burner orifices and a "baby booger sucker"(or whatever that aspirater bulb thing is called), to wash pilot orifices with

I use nitrogen, regulated to 100PSI or less, for pilot orifices. If that doesn't work I prefer to replace the pilot but if time doesn't permit I first try soaking with WD-40, then the nitrogen again. As a last resort I will use a safety pin to carefully clean the orifice. For burner spuds a toothpick works well, then blow it out with nitrogen. I used water a few times, until a spud went down the drain. I also carry a pin vise for cleaning the cast iron burner orifices in make up air units with a drill bit. If I had a nickel for every pilot I've replaced that got cleaned with a torch tip cleaner I could buy lunch.

I use a torch tip cleaner most of the time (which is actually not very often).
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Quote Originally Posted by amickracing View Post
    I use a torch tip cleaner most of the time (which is actually not very often).
    Thats a good idea. I already own one of those so now I can use it for more than one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mbarson View Post
    I believe Austin Powers had one! I could not tell you how effective it is.
    My girlfriend bought me one, I dont know what its for though.

Twilli has one of those pumps. The flow will increase once you use it.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

My coworker has one, he likes it. I use a can of compressed air (AKA: Computer duster. $2.25 at Staples.) I also have pilot broaches they work to, and yes they can in some cases enlarge the hole. Controls Inc. sells all kinds of gas parts and tools you can get them there. Ask for a free catalog (lots of pictures in there, will help to identify components you may never have seen before.) If you haven’t already your going to run into pilots where the orifice is so fused and molded in there, your not going to get it out! So the above mentioned items will be very useful. Take note: when reinstalling the pilot tubing the compression fitting (usually rusty) will tend not to seal and develop a small leak! Check for it. In this case a little bit of pipe dope on the threads will seal any leak! I guarantee. (this also seals little leaks on flair fittings too. Remember just use a little!)
    Want the whole truth WWW.infowars.com

My coworker has one, he likes it. I use a can of compressed air (AKA: Computer duster. $2.25 at Staples.) I also have pilot broaches they work to, and yes they can in some cases enlarge the hole. Controls Inc. sells all kinds of gas parts and tools you can get them there. Ask for a free catalog (lots of pictures in there, will help to identify components you may never have seen before.) If you haven’t already your going to run into pilots where the orifice is so fused and molded in there, your not going to get it out! So the above mentioned items will be very useful. Take note: when reinstalling the pilot tubing the compression fitting (usually rusty) will tend not to seal and develop a small leak! Check for it. In this case a little bit of pipe dope on the threads will seal any leak! I guarantee. (this also seals little leaks on flair fittings too. Remember just use a little!)
    Want the whole truth WWW.infowars.com

Controls Inc? Thats the retailers name? Do you have a website?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast