Sizing for Infinity

This is my third consumer thread and hopefully my last. I have decided to go with an infinity Zone system, but had a couple more questions.
    1. Sales guy says that just replacing exisitng unit is fine (100k btu) but he would also be fine putting in an 80k btu unit. Says that he could do a load calc, but the zoning would then require some fudging. Is this accurate?

2. Quoting. Is it standard industry practice to quote fully installed price? I was basically told that the cost of this unit fully installed with permits is X. The zoning system is Y for a total of Z. I was expecting more of a breakdown.

3. Warranty. They are offering a 10 yr parts/labor warranty on their paper, not on carrier paper. I am pretty confidant that they will be around for the long term and I like the sales guy, how standard is it for companies to hold the paper on a warranty?

You all have been quite helpful in this and have really made this decision easier.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    1. Size by a load calculation,Manual J or equal,no fudging for zoning.

2. Standard practice.

3. I'd be cocerned about ten years on their paper unless they are licensed to sell them by the dept of insurance ,as required in some states like Florida ,after so many went broke.
    Last edited by dash; 11-25-2007 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brentley View Post
    1. Sales guy says that just replacing exisitng unit is fine (100k btu) but he would also be fine putting in an 80k btu unit. Says that he could do a load calc, but the zoning would then require some fudging. Is this accurate?
    This is not accurate. Either the home needs 80,000 or 100,000 Btu's input, not both. Saying he "could do a l oad calc..." is definitely NOT the way the job should be approached. The company you select should automatically do a load calculation. Zone fudging? Hardly. The Carrier Infinity/Bryant Evolution zone control systems require no calculations by the installing company. All they need to know is how to install it. The controls do the rest. But how are they going to know how to zone the system if they don't first do a load calc on a room-by-room basis? Back to the manual 'J' calc. It's a necessity and the sign of a professional company.

2. Quoting. Is it standard industry practice to quote fully installed price? I was basically told that the cost of this unit fully installed with permits is X. The zoning system is Y for a total of Z. I was expecting more of a breakdown.
    What you're getting is generally the practice followed in the field. It's like going to a restaurant. You get a menu with a price for each item. Pick and choose. You don't get a breakdown as to the cost of the lettuce, tomatos, meat, potatos, gas to cook it all, labor, etc. Same thing here. You get a price for the product with all labor and materials included. You asked for an option (zones) and they gave you one.

3. Warranty. They are offering a 10 yr parts/labor warranty on their paper, not on carrier paper. I am pretty confidant that they will be around for the long term and I like the sales guy, how standard is it for companies to hold the paper on a warranty?
    Some states require anyone carrying a warranty to be licensed as an insurance company in the state. Not all states require that but those that do say it's because too many times people have paid for the extended warranty and the company that took the money went out of business, so no warranty. It's possible the warranty is being purchased from a company in the warranty business. If it's just the installing company doing it, I'd enter into the agreement with the knowledge that the 10-year warranty might just not be so good. FYI, Carrier Infinity/Bryant Evolution have a 5-year parts warranty, 10-year compressor warranty and additional extended warranties are available at a cost.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

We were only planning on 2 zones. An upstairs zone and a downstairs zone. The existing unit is 100k, and the guy did do the look at it and size it based on installed size thing (which I know everyone hates). The house did have a room added on to it after the inital unit was installed but I don't think it would make that much difference. The guy did say he would do a load calc, but he did seem to think it would be the same size.

On the quote I am glad that is practice.

The company bidding has expanded by buying other companies and honoring their warranties (you don't have to be a licensed broker in CA to sell warrenties apparently) and selling their own. I would be pretty comfortable that they will be a going concern for the 10 years (more so than one of the bidders).

I will look to get a load calc, and if they balk I will just find a carrier dealer who will do one.

Thanks a ton, I have learned so much about hvac from reading all of the posts.