mini split heat pump with electric back up suggestions.

Looking to heat & cool a very large 3 car garage appox 40 x 30 with 12' ceiling. I did a rough heat loss/gain looks to be about 25.5 K. What brand would you look at? Mitsubishi, Sanyo or other?
    Thanks as always....

Only one I know of with much backup is EMI. And it's pricey! How about a conventional air handler and outdoor unit?

It may come to that. I have been searching around alot. Finding that you may be correct (from a cost stand point). Figured I would ask around here before ordering up something. Thanks! Keep the Suggestions coming PLEASE!

Where are you? I've got an inverter minisplit in mine (Daikin) and have not needed backup, even in single digit temps.
    Even though I have a Daikin, I would suggest the Fujistu Halcyon. Also, make sure the thing is insulated. You'll be fighting an uphill battle if it isn't.

Also, most of the inverter minisplits today can be 'slaved together' if you go for the wired thermostat. Meaning, if you have two units (may be needed for heat/cool distribution), they will operate together from a common thermostat control.

If you REALLY need backup, add electric baseboard heat, and set the temp lower than the minisplit(s). Then they run only when needed. It may be a good idea to add one of those wind up 12 hour timers to control the baseboards so you don't forget to turn them off!

Quote Originally Posted by fan in the can View Post
    Looking to heat & cool a very large 3 car garage appox 40 x 30 with 12' ceiling. I did a rough heat loss/gain looks to be about 25.5 K. What brand would you look at? Mitsubishi, Sanyo or other?
    Thanks as always....

I am out in CT. Just a bit worried about the low temps in winter. Although as of late it has not been all that cold. However I think it will soon.

Just order up the Mitsubishi Mr Slim 24K Model. The inverter heat pump is awesome and you will not need the back up heat. If for some reason you feel compelled to need backup heat as others said install baseboard.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Question minisplit heat pump with electric back up

I have a similar problem in trying to heat a small room 10 x 16. My pro installed a 12k Mr. Slim ductless heat pump, but he apparently did not know that there is no backup in this product. Is there likely to be a problem with enough heat, if there are several days of subfreezing weather?
    This room is an enclosed porch on the north side of a house in Virginia. We do not get subfreezing weather very often or for very long, but it does happen, (D.C. had to shut down its entire commercial and government area in 1996 for almost a week for lack of electricity to heat the rest of the city). I can not install baseboard heating here or use space heaters.
    Thanks for any help.

All the inverter units I've dealt with seem to be able to work fine almost to 0 degrees F. So, for almost all of the winter, an inverter minisplit should hang fine. And probably well enough below 0 (well, single digit below 0) that electric baseboard backup should take care of any shortfall in capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by fan in the can View Post
    I am out in CT. Just a bit worried about the low temps in winter. Although as of late it has not been all that cold. However I think it will soon.

Inverters do a very nice job, EMI is the only one I am aware of w/Aux heat until I ran across plans for a Sanyo THHW26 or THHW36 - Heat Pumps w/heater. Specs, details at www.sanyohvac.com