Thread: Chimney

Chimney

Hello all, and thank you for having such a great resourse available in the 'net!

I own a house built in 1910. Currently there are three gas burning products that use the Chimney. 1) a 1955 Janitrol floor heater downstairs(yep ..still works ) 2) a water heater, and 3) a newer model forced hot air upstars(vintage 1975-1978) furnace.

My goal is to upgrade to more modern units. I have had multiple estimates for HP with electric furnaces , and gas furnace with ac.

My question.... is it safe to put 80% efficient furnaces into my chimney?

Quote Originally Posted by Bhathaway View Post
    Hello all, and thank you for having such a great resourse available in the 'net!

I own a house built in 1910. Currently there are three gas burning products that use the Chimney. 1) a 1955 Janitrol floor heater downstairs(yep ..still works ) 2) a water heater, and 3) a newer model forced hot air upstars(vintage 1975-1978) furnace.

My goal is to upgrade to more modern units. I have had multiple estimates for HP with electric furnaces , and gas furnace with ac.

My question.... is it safe to put 80% efficient furnaces into my chimney?
    that depends on the shape of your chimney would be wise to have chimney company or some heating and ac company to check for cracks in it before you install new equip, carbon monoxide is very dangerous

I'd suggest getting it lined anyway, then go for higher efficency equipment that's at least 85% AFUE or better.

NO! The condensing flue gases will deteriorate the mortar, the furnace may not draft properly, and cracks can provide a path for CO into the house. You need to have a chimney liner installed that is the proper size for the equipment.

you need a liner, problem being if you have appliances at different levels, you may have fun with that. I use flexible liners from top to bottom, If I were you I would go with condensing furnaces and water heater, no chimney needed. Of course if the upstairs one is in the attic, you will need to go with an 80% or electric due to freezing of condensate on a 90+.
    You can't fix stupid

Thanks to all for your responses. It was helpful.

I'm a little dissapointed about my different job proposals, as only two people steered me towards 90% efficient furnaces... and then out of the two only one really explained WHY.

Meanwhile I have 3 other job proposals that have a great price tag attached, but they make no mention at all about lining the chimneys. I got in touch with one of the low bidders, and he said that 80% efficient is just fine to put in the chimney, but he will check it out with a chimney expert he knows.

Maybee I will just go with electric only. CO is scarry suff!

You could replace the two furnaces with 90+ furnaces with 2 pipe sealed combustion units, vent them vertically or horizontal w/ PVC separate from the chimney. You then should still line the chimney for the orphaned water heater with type B vent or an approved flexible liner, especially on that old of a chimney.
    never say never

Quote Originally Posted by contactor View Post
    You could replace the two furnaces with 90+ furnaces with 2 pipe sealed combustion units, vent them vertically or horizontal w/ PVC separate from the chimney. You then should still line the chimney for the orphaned water heater with type B vent or an approved flexible liner, especially on that old of a chimney.

Thanks for the good advice.

I neglected to say I have 2 water heaters also(both in the basement). One is electric. The house was converted into two appartments. For five years I rented half out and enjoyed the extra wealth. I recently converted back to a one family due to a recent addition to my family. I could connect the upstairs hot water line to the downstairs electric H2Oheater and give the finger to the gas company.

I am kicking myself for not making this huge upgrade when I could write off any improvements to the home as a tax write off

Cool

If you are located anywhere near Richmond, contact Eurotech Chimney and have them inspect it and consult with you on the liner options. Contactor gave you good advice as did most everyone else. It is actually a code requirement to reline it since the present chimney will be unsuitable for the class of service.

HTH,

Hearthman