Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    We've all had customers like him. The HVAC guy got stuck doing the job because it was his builder that did the work. These are the ones you bid high because you know it is going to be a pain in the arse. He's some know it all that tells you all about your job and when you correct him, he rolls his eyes and tells you you're wrong and don't know what you're talking about. He was the guy that got the poop kicked out of him in high school everyday. Ignore the guy, he'll go away. I'll almost bet he's married to some overweight domineering woman that rides his arse, he has to find someplace to take it out, what better than anonymously over the net?

Quote Originally Posted by amickracing View Post
    No one can help you here... None of us did the work, none of us gave you any input to what to get before you bought it. None of us told you who to choose, or made the phone call to the guys who did the work.

As far as the 410 vs 22 issue. Yes, 410 is a lil more friendly to the environment but believe me, that 8# of R22 you have isn't going to kill it either. I'm not saying we shouldn't all make an effort... but the world isn't going to stop by using some more 22 units.

Around here, I'm sure there are lead painted houses... When ever I installed equipment, we never gave it a second thought unless the customer pointed it out.

As a HVAC contractor, there's no way anyone would ever buy anything from us if we went in, tested all your paint, checked your insulation for asbestos, spent hours upon hours teaching the home owners everything we know about a certain line of product, walked through every small detail of how we'd do the job etc.

In fact, if we told a customer it's going to cost and extra $2k for us to test your house for paint and asbestos, we'd be called crooks yet again.

Panning in the returns, well, it's not a fool proof way. There is a likely hood of some holes that can't be sealed easily, and a few other small issues (your painted joists being a rare issue I've never heard of but here). But, if you wanted everything hard ducted with a 2% leakage test done afterwards, you should have specified that when you had it done. And likely there would be a huge price difference too.

There's nothing wrong with being educated about your money that you are spending. But demanding a bunch of stuff after it's done, and suddenly having issues like lead paint that weren't pointed out... I'd say it kinda falls back on you.

Perhaps you can have them rip the panning out, then you can have the joists painted with some sort of sealer and then reseal the space up? About sealing the holes, perhaps some spray foam or mastic might do the trick, I can't see it from here though.

We can't discuss pricing here, but if you paid $50k, I'm very sure that wasn't the hvac system, that was likely the whole project. And for that price, it's likely a small portion of that was hvac... you get what you pay for most times.

For the system you wanted, done the way you wanted, with all of the tests that are rarely if ever done by hvac guys, that $50k would have been just for the HVAC system.
    [The 50k+ was only for the HVAC system. [/B]

The house is over 75 years old.
    I had no control over the people that owned it before me.
    And the lead paint is obviously on the joists.
    Lord knows why they painted them in the basement.
    If were to have been notified of joist panning ahead of time, I would have asked them to hard duct it instead. But, I was kept in the dark.

If you paid that, what exactly did they install? Did you have the floor joist tested for lead paint? Why are the joist painted in the first place?

From what I gather you are a whinny little homeowner who wants something for nothing. You would never pay to have a high efficiency system installed and pressure tested. So you either got screwed on your price or your a liar. I'm leaning towards #2.
    Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained. (William Blake)

Quote Originally Posted by ductaped View Post
    Can't you guys solve a problem versus skirting it?

I can tell you how to solve your problem drop IT!

From what I hear you have no real issues.
    Last edited by Senior Tech; 11-25-2007 at 11:33 AM.
    Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained. (William Blake)

Quote Originally Posted by ductaped View Post
    Can't you guys solve a problem versus skirting it?
    The only ones who can solve your problem are you and your contractor. We weren't involved in any of it. What you are looking for is for us to agree with you so that you can go back to your contractor with some ammo. You need to sit down with the parties involved and discuss the issues you have.
    How is the contractor suppose to know if the paint is lead or not? If you knew about these hazards in your house I would hope you told me before I start disrupting any of it.
    If you paid 50K for hvac without getting more than one estimate you my friend are a fool.
    Last edited by Senior Tech; 11-25-2007 at 11:33 AM.

This has run it's course. To the OP, talk to your GC.

CLOSED!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123